Soft plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used an Express Tech before I had ever tried a metal backplate. I liked it ... until I tried a metal backplate. I don't think I'd go back to a semi-rigid plate.

I've dived metal plates and they are fine. I just like the flexibility of the harness & plate and the ease of travel for the type of diving I do. To each their own. :)

I've dived metal plates and they are fine. I just like the flexibility of the harness & plate and the ease of travel for the type of diving I do. To each their own. :)

Can't argue with ease of travel. I used to count every ounce of baggage weight. I eventually gave up--possibly as a result of resigning myself to using a metal backplate. In addition to the metal backplate, I sometimes bring a couple of 1 lb. lead weights.

Another vote for the zeagle express tech plate. I’ve not noticed any flexing during use. Doesn’t absorb water. I drilled some holes in the edge of mine and added grommets. Great for travel with my 30# oxycheq wing.

Will continue to use my brass back plate for cold water.

I’ve been diving a Trans Pac for years. It was used when I bought it and is still my “go to” rig. Easy to pack, not much lighter than a standard BCD but very comfortable from aluminum 80’s to steel 120’s.

good luck,
Jay

What about a dogbone style plate? Minimal footprint, same weight as a fabric plate, but less flexible

Here's one for $75: Aluminium Dog Bone Style Lightweight Backplate

Hot-Special-Aluminium-Dog-Bone-Style-Backplate-Color-Blue-15256-12192.jpg

Or this one is on ebay and Amazon for $55: https://www.amazon.com/kesoto-Technical-Dive-Backplate-Professional/dp/B07MMJC8RN

41TMBjhdVQL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom