Judging a diver's experience: logging number of dives and hours of dive time

Do you log number of dives and/or hours of dive time?

• I log number of dives

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • I log hours of dive time

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I log number of dives and hours of dive time

Votes: 165 71.7%
  • I do not log number of dives or hours of dive time

Votes: 39 17.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what is it on here that people think everyone is supposed to be sub par in desperate need of a refresher

Certainly not everyone, but when you get the paired with insta-buddies that can't set up equipment, can't get down and when once down, swim off in random directions because they can't hold depth without moving, or head for the surface because they think they're out-of-air at 50 bar because of "red zone", you start to think maybe some people should take refreshers.

Certainly not everyone, but when you get the paired with insta-buddies that can't set up equipment, can't get down and when once down, swim off in random directions because they can't hold depth without moving, or head for the surface because they think they're out-of-air at 50 bar because of "red zone", you start to think maybe some people should take refreshers.
Run into that a lot?

Maybe I am just more selective about the operators I use, but I see such things so rarely that the times I do really stand out.

Run into that a lot?

Maybe I am just more selective about the operators I use, but I see such things so rarely that the times I do really stand out.

It seems to be the locations and the clientele that go there, like vacationers with long gaps between diving and very limited diving histories in the first place or backpackers checking off the bucket list. I don't blame it on the operators, as they do try to pair people with similar experience together as much as possible, but if you've been diving when them for a long stretch and new groups come through, you just end up with some unknowns with each new set.

Yeah it doesn't appear the "vacation diver" thing is going away anytime soon. Only solution I guess is to travel with a buddy you know, just dive locally (or on boats in the U.S./Canada, where I have yet to run into a real yahoo), or take your chances.

Let me start with: I dive with gloves and a camera

Well the responsibility is still with the dive industry itself especially when I still see instructors teaching students kneeling on the sand and passing them when they have no clue about managing their buoyancy, some people just don't get it!

Plus it's a money thing, what instructor is going to spend more than four dives with a student if the payment for the course barely covers the cost for these dives.

Where I dive I see very few divers use the frog kick so I assume nobody is teaching that method and they flutter kick all over the place silting up dive sites.

Divers descending feet first and fluttering to control their descent like a Space X rocket returning to earth is fairly common, the only problem is I've yet to see one explode.

As for those with cameras, it's generally those with a GoPro on a stick and not SLR housed camera users that create the problems.

Rant over :coffee:

Let me start with: I dive with gloves and a camera

Well the responsibility is still with the dive industry itself especially when I still see instructors teaching students kneeling on the sand and passing them when they have no clue about managing their buoyancy, some people just don't get it!

Plus it's a money thing, what instructor is going to spend more than four dives with a student if the payment for the course barely covers the cost for these dives.

Where I dive I see very few divers use the frog kick so I assume nobody is teaching that method and they flutter kick all over the place silting up dive sites.

Divers descending feet first and fluttering to control their descent like a Space X rocket returning to earth is fairly common, the only problem is I've yet to see one explode.

As for those with cameras, it's generally those with a GoPro on a stick and not SLR housed camera users that create the problems.

Rant over :coffee:

hahahaha

thank you for the animated description

34i_dj2019_spacexdragonart_live.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom