confused about prescription masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pulled the trigger on a full prescription mask from Sea Vision. So far they have been great answering my questions and verifying my prescription before preceding to make the lenses.
I'm looking forward to seeing the difference underwater.
Thanks again all for the advise.

I don't know if sea vision still does the lenses the same way now as in the past. There is a small caveat about their bifocal lens masks. They used to mold the bifocal correction on the outside of the mask instead of gluing it on the inside like other companies. So, if you are attempting to use those masks on the surface, some prescription combinations may appear to not work correctly.

So, the bifocal correction on the outside of the mask may only work as intended underwater.

We had a guy who bought one. It was the first time in 20 years that he actual saw what he what taking photos of in the view finder. He was initially upset when he tried the mask on on dry land.

I don't know if sea vision still does the lenses the same way now as in the past. There is a small caveat about their bifocal lens masks. They used to mold the bifocal correction on the outside of the mask instead of gluing it on the inside like other companies. So, if you are attempting to use those masks on the surface, some prescription combinations may appear to not work correctly.

So, the bifocal correction on the outside of the mask may only work as intended underwater.

We had a guy who bought one. It was the first time in 20 years that he actual saw what he what taking photos of in the view finder. He was initially upset when he tried the mask on on dry land.

Still the case… I don’t even try to use the reading area while above water. They do work very well underwater though. Around/out of water I always have my rx bifocal sunglasses on anyway.

Contrary to many other posts here, I'm not a fan of Sea Vision. On a positive note, they did a good job of filling the prescription and I can see very well underwater. On the down side, they only sell their mask. It has never quite fit right and I commonly contend with a continuously leaking mask. If their mask fits you, you'll likely have a great experience. If you're like me, it will be a constant source of annoyance.

@divezonescuba This was one of the items that Sea Vision warned me about in their correspondence. I'm glad they did as I probably would have assumed that they messed up my prescription otherwise.
@Ryan T I thought of that as well, but I must have an average face as I've tried diving with probably 5 different style masks and none of them have caused me any issues. I'm hopeful that this mask doesn't either.

I stupidly kept my first prescription mask in the gear bag without putting it in its case. With gear bags getting tossed around, it eventually developed a crack. Luckily, like Julie T, the dive shop had some spare prescription ones that other divers had left. One was almost my prescription. Instead of buying the dive shop's spare, I picked up the same brand and model, Cressi Focus, like AdivingBel. Now I have a primary and a backup.

Contrary to many other posts here, I'm not a fan of Sea Vision. On a positive note, they did a good job of filling the prescription and I can see very well underwater. On the down side, they only sell their mask. It has never quite fit right and I commonly contend with a continuously leaking mask. If their mask fits you, you'll likely have a great experience. If you're like me, it will be a constant source of annoyance.

They will grind to any dual lens mask. The caveat being you buy your mask at an LDS and ship it to them. Costs a bit more in both time and money with the extra shipping leg but I found it reasonable. They've done two Tusa Freedom Ceos masks for me so far.

@CanadaDan, good to know. When I bought mine, they told me they only sold lenses in their own mask. Sounds like an improvement from a fit perspective.

Only issue that I've had with Seavision is that they cannot do a reader greater than 2.0. either in Single or Bifocal.

Prescription Dive Masks do not have this limitation.

Back
Top Bottom