Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Brilig You probably saw some of the DSMB deployment videos from GUE Fundamentals in-water demonstrations. This is strictly done in class. I suspect this is done to develop some mid-water command while working on a specific task. Outside of Fundamentals, I have never seen anyone carry an unattached DSMB.

In my GUE Fundamentals class, we had to separate the spool for the exercise. After we were done, I was separating them again and my instructor told me not to: we only do that for the class... :) Good to have practiced, but better to have prepared... :)

I was going to say the same thing as above: you're probably watching GUE/DIR videos.

The reason that the spool and SMB are separate is so that if you ever come across it detached, you can put it together proficiently u/w without having other issues like loss of buoyancy control, tangling, loss of navigation, situational awareness, etc.

I'm sure it's also a good indicator of being able to hold position while task loaded, since DSMB assembly and deployment is combined with sharing air and a graduated ascent.

I kept them separate for many dives after learning in Fundies the GUE-approved sequence of moves for attaching them, until a thread like this one came up, and it was explained that while attaching them underwater is great task-loading training, it isn't necessary for everyday diving. Since then, I have kept them attached when doing plain ol' fun diving.

Shortly after Fundies, I was on a boat dive in Florida, and my buddy and I and the DM (or one of the DMs--I think there were two) had gotten separated from the rest of the divers. I eagerly pulled out my SMB and spool and assembled them, maintaining trim, just as we were taught. The DM watched as though she thought it was a show. It was.

Friend of mine lost his SMB during dive - it simply somehow fell off the pallet. So, for me - 100ft spool is always attached to self-inflatable SMB and clipped to the pocket loop. One time i had leg cramps at 80ft and need to stay safety - simply open valve and SMB fly to surface. If i had a need to assemble SMB and spool - huh, bet that's not the easy task in that situation.

The original practice was to attach it before sending up due to having multiple dsmb-s and using spools for other stuff usually for wreck diving. Since now we don't carry 100 meters of line with us that is used for other stuff I don't see much point in keeping them separate.

I kept them separate for many dives after learning in Fundies the GUE-approved sequence of moves for attaching them, until a thread like this one came up, and it was explained that while attaching them underwater is great task-loading training, it isn't necessary for everyday diving. Since then, I have kept them attached when doing plain ol' fun diving...

I've still kept mine separate, 7 years after Fundies, though I sometimes toy with the idea of keeping them together.

When I was being mentored, a T2/C2 mentor pulled his out of his left pocket attached (the same one that questioned why mine was in the right pocket). :D I ribbed him for cheating, and I found out that was common outside of training.

I guess I've kept mine attached because I often dive with GUE instructors, and sometimes help in courses (like the one I'm sitting in on virtually now) or mentor their students, and don't want to set a "bad" example during their training. I think if it weren't for that, I would totally keep mine together. I could just separate it before diving with them, but I might forget. :rolleyes:

I've still kept mine separate, 7 years after Fundies, though I sometimes toy with the idea of keeping them together.

When I was being mentored, a T2/C2 mentor pulled his out of his left pocket attached (the same one that questioned why mine was in the right pocket). :D I ribbed him for cheating, and I found out that was common outside of training.

I guess I've kept mine attached because I often dive with GUE instructors, and sometimes help in courses (like the one I'm sitting in on virtually now) or mentor their students, and don't want to set a "bad" example during their training. I think if it weren't for that, I would totally keep mine together. I could just separate it before diving with them, but I might forget. :rolleyes:

I suspect there are a few GUE/DIR habits that we could stand to ease up on when circumstances warrant. For instance, it has been discussed in a bunch of threads how it's okay to get out of horizontal trim when it makes sense. That is an especially difficult one.

I suspect there are a few GUE/DIR habits that we could stand to ease up on when circumstances warrant. For instance, it has been discussed in a bunch of threads how it's okay to get out of horizontal trim when it makes sense. That is an especially difficult one.

True, but they do say that in the course. I've sat in on several GUE Fundamentals courses, and when they do the module on buoyancy and trim, they say for example, it's ok to follow the slope of a wall, bottom topography, etc. Your body position can correspond to the environment you're in. Also in an emergency, do what you have to do.

It could be different instructors or different times, not sure.

I only carry a dsmb & reel when I think I'm going to need it (not hard to know in the places I dive, and I always carry at least an smb). They are always attached. I carry the "big one" when diving Jupiter 'cause when you need it, the boats gotta see it. In Coz I carry the "little one" 'cause I can inflate it with half a breath from below 30 ft.; the captain knows it; and 'cause I use it almost every dive 'cause my op lets me dive my tank. It's about the only time I get to do it unless I'm solo shore diving in Bonaire/Curacao. I luv Coz and I luv me some "dive freedom." "Back to (somewhat) normal," I'm coming for ya (within reason, of course)... :bounce::bounce::bounce: :):clearmask:

Diving is supposed to be fun, relaxing and enjoyable. Much of the time being anal about rock solid GUE/DIR/Tech fundamentals is really unnecessary. Have fun and remind yourself it’s for fun, not a beauty contest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom