Who carries their computer in their carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDave

Registered
Reaction score
I was just talking with a coworker who brought up an interesting point. If you stow your computer in the non pressurized cargo holds then try and dive the next day, you deco times may be messed up. I have flown and stowed before, without problems, but I'd like your opinions please. :confused:

I always carry my dive computer. Number one is beause it's expensive and second because the baggage goes through quite a bit of trauma on its destination.

I also carry my regs. and my camera equipment. It's a lot of stuff but there is no other way to do it.

Mike

I carry-on my computer, reg, and BC. We have too much money invested in both my wifes and my equipment I'm keeping it close to me. I agree with Buff too on how your baggage is treated by handlers.

Originally posted by jgiddings
Computers, Regulators and Cameras are just too delicate to put on as check in. Take it with you on the plane.

- JG

While divers seem to baby cameras, I've never noticed them being very protective of dive computers and regulators. Both can get banged around on a dive deck, being dragged back into a boat, etc. Aside from from having a tank dropped on them or someone stepping on them, they seem to take the beating pretty well.

On my recent trip to Aruba I carried-on our computers and regs. They're a lot of money in a small package. I was a little nervous about going through security but had no problems, they probably see them all the time.

Mike

WE always carry our computers and regs with us. and toiletries, medicine, swinsuit, t shirt and shorts, what we would really want to have if everything else went south.
I fact, in a standard rolling carry on we can each fit all of that and our bc, mask,,and a few other things as well.

Outbound, I'll always carry my computer, reg and prescription mask in my carryon.

On flights headed back home, most/all of that goes in my checked baggage.

I put lots of stuff in my carryon on the way from home to my dive destination to guard against screwing up diving big-time because a bag was misplaced.

I put the stuff in checked baggage on the way home cause a delay of a day or two in getting the gear is usually not a big deal.

donacheson

I agree that computers, regulators etc get pretty banged up on the boat and can take a beating. But why subject them to more abuse than nessisary?

On my last trip to Bonaire, a couple at our Resort both checked in their gear but then had broken regulators. It was a small problem but took time to fix. They had to rent gear for their entire trip. Maybe it was because they flew ALM, but regardless, I prefer to take my essential gear with me on the plane.

- JG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom