Ditchable weights / balanced rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds great!

It seems strange that the BP/W fanatics always emphasize that the key to the stability of their preferred rig is a reasonably tight crotch strap, yet hardly anyone can autonomously come up with the insanely innovative idea of adding a $3 strap and buckle to their EXISTING JACKET BC.

Using a crotch strap and modest amount of lead on a good weightbelt (instead over-stuffing integrated pouches etc.) will make most BC's work quite well for a lot of people.

See if you can rig up a crotch strap! Makes such a big difference to the stability of the rig ime!

As a historical note, jackets used to come with crotch straps. With the use of spandex, Velcro, and the poodle jacket, which grabs you when inflated, the crotch strap was dropped from use. Before I went back to a BP, I had to add one to my last jacket.

Using a crotch strap and modest amount of lead on a good weightbelt (instead over-stuffing integrated pouches etc.) will make most BC's work quite well for a lot of people.

In my earliest days of diving I dove with a weight belt. That was in the day before integrated weight pockets and even BCD's. Their only use today is for divers who need more lead weight than what they can comfortably fit in the integrated weight pouches. Weight belts lower the center of gravity turning poorly trimmed divers into badly trimmed divers. The answer is to get these divers properly weighted so they can ditch the cumbersome weight belt and put all their ballast in the integrated BCD weight pockets.

In my earliest days of diving I dove with a weight belt. That was in the day before integrated weight pockets and even BCD's. Their only use today is for divers who need more lead weight than what they can comfortably fit in the integrated weight pouches. Weight belts lower the center of gravity turning poorly trimmed divers into badly trimmed divers. The answer is to get these divers properly weighted so they can ditch the cumbersome weight belt and put all their ballast in the integrated BCD weight pockets.

There are a lot of people who disagree with that conclusion and there are many reasons why it is not always best to have all ballast on the BC and/or in integrated weight pockets (even when carrying the correct amount of ballast).

This is what the BCD looks like now. Added crotchstrap, changed D-rings, removed waist plastic buckle and added a metal buckle. Bungee cord for inflater (in 6 days of diving didn't have to use it once to deflate), removed the bells and whistles (mini-accessories that made it look like a Xmas tree).
Octopus holder is temporary as I'm switching to a necklace holder and long hose when I get home (diveinn didn't deliver it before I left).
No weight pockets needed, in a rashguard I use no weights and with a 3mm wetsuit I use 2 kilos strapped to the tank.
I like the metal buckle and the bungee cord for the inflator.
Thanks :checkbox: Bought a new buckle as soon as saw your photo.

Sounds great!

It seems strange that the BP/W fanatics always emphasize that the key to the stability of their preferred rig is a reasonably tight crotch strap, yet hardly anyone can autonomously come up with the insanely innovative idea of adding a $3 strap and buckle to their EXISTING JACKET BC.

Not sure where you came up with that one. They 'key' to stability of a BP/W is that the rigid plate couples the tank to your back, and spreads out the point of contact over a large area. Consider the difference between a tank rolling around on the floor, and the same tank strapped to a rigid plate place on it's side. Big difference.

The crotch strap helps quite a bit at the surface because it keeps the rig from riding up when you are vertical with your head out of the water. But it's not as important once you're horizontal underwater. Another advantage to the crotch strap is that it allows for very minimal and not-too-tight shoulder straps. This in turn reduces constriction and clutter in the chest area, which is very comfortable in the water.

Adding a crotch strap to a jacket style BC will definitely help on the surface, but it's not going make the tank significantly more stable on your back in horizontal trim. And I think, although I'm not that familiar with current jacket BCs on the market, that many of them use a cummerbund-type velcro padded strap across your torso. (What a supremely dumb idea that is) Unless there is a separate webbing strap with a buckle it could be a little challenging to rig a crotch strap. My old jacket BC (the one I went through OW class on 20 years ago) does have a separate webbing strap and a plastic piece on the back so you could rig something up.

Oh my! It would take a huge amount of innovation to sew a loop unto a cummerbund to attach a crotch strap! Or maybe a big loop that goes over the whole thing. I also think it would not be so hard to figure out how to drill a hole in a BC pack, attach a loop of cave line and then attach a crotch strap. Unless of course, a crotch strap can only relinquish it's mystical qualities on a BP/W and not on a BC. LOL

Maybe I wrap a 10m webbing around myself while wearing the bcd.
I am pretty sure it's more comfortable and stable then just using a bcd.

I hate them. Every time I have to use a bcd I am crying nonstop :D

The crotch strap is not really necessary, but it makes the rig more stable in my opinion. I don't want to miss mine.

Oh my! It would take a huge amount of innovation to sew a loop unto a cummerbund to attach a crotch strap! Or maybe a big loop that goes over the whole thing. I also think it would not be so hard to figure out how to drill a hole in a BC pack, attach a loop of cave line and then attach a crotch strap. Unless of course, a crotch strap can only relinquish it's mystical qualities on a BP/W and not on a BC. LOL
No one is saying a BC doesn't work. I started diving with one and I've used them over the years as rentals. But I greatly prefer a BP/W because I want to feel like I'm flying underwater. I'm still the kid I was in the deep end of the pool wishing I could stay under forever. When I dive I do barrel rolls and flips and stand on my head and lie on my back midwater to enjoy the sunlight. I fly low and zoom up over coral heads. I have fun, dammit. To do this I want my gear stable, but not constrictive. I want to feel free. I hate the BCs cummerbund and chest strap and single cam strap and all that extra fabric around my chest and torso. I don't want a bear hug when I need to add air to my wing. And I don't want a bunch of weight on my waist flopping around as I maneuver.

I didn't say that a BP/W was not better, all I said was a significant improvement in the BC might be attainable by the addition of a cheap, simple, crotch strap.

If the diver has a BC and is contemplating spending a good bit of money to upgrade to a unit that has a crotch strap (BP/W), why not FIRST see if a crotch strap doesn't alleviate (to some extent) the existing problems with the current BC?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom