forcibly (slightly) over weighted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I remember back when I was naturally negatively buoyant, about 30 years ago. Those were the days.

More fat will make you more positive, not more negative, so leaning out will not help you float.

Based on how negative you say you are, I'm going to guess that you are using a steel tank. Perhaps an aluminum tank might help you shed some weight? I think that my al80 is around +4 empty, & my al63 is around +2 where my 108 steel is -10ish & my different steel 120s vary from -7 to -9ish. Tanks vary quite a bit. SCUBA Cylinder Specifications – Huron Scuba, Snorkel & Adventure Travel Inc. PADI 5 star IDC in Ann Arbor, MI

yes, more fat for more buoyancy - I got it the other way round

No, we use aluminum 80s here

oh right! I got it the other way round - time to get fat then :D

Being fat is better. I don't get cold like other divers do on longer dives as I do not wear a wetsuit.
Sure I take more lead with me when I do dive.

yes, more fat for more buoyancy - I got it the other way round

No, we use aluminum 80s here
Geeze, if you are already using AL80 tanks, & you need more inherent buoyancy in the rig, you might need to add a couple of pieces of pool noodle to your back pack, or something like that. I suppose that you could also wear a float belt, like people sometimes use for water skiing. You have a problem that I don't normally encounter when using aluminum tanks. This is new for me.

oh right!
I got it the other way round - time to get fat then :D
During Covid I have become something of an expert on that. If you need any pointers let me know.

Geeze, if you are already using AL89 tanks, & you need more inherent buoyancy in the rig, you might need to add a couple of pieces of pool noodle to your back pack, or something like that. I suppose that you could also wear a float belt, like people sometimes use for water skiing. You have a problem that I don't normally encounter when using aluminum tanks. This is new for me.

Yes its also strange for me - I see everyone attaching weight in a rash guard in summer.
Alright, the ones with fat I understand. But I've seen people thinner than me (I'm not thin but not fat either) also putting on weight.
I mean they looked so lean - almost like swimmer or climber physique.

Back
Top Bottom