Dive computers - buckle or bungee strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20190319_080204.jpg
These are my bungee cord straps.
When I stretch them they pull easily through the holes for adjustments. When not stretched they hold the position nicely.
Exactly the right thickness of bungee is needed but adjustments are so easy and no problem putting it on or off.

Interesting about the surgical tubing. Does it still stay tight on your wrist, even though it gives quite a bit? I did notice that the bungee doesn't stretch as much as I would have thought. It kind of scrapes my hand as I put it on/off.

What width of surgical tubing do you use?
I use 1/4" O.D. with 1/16" thickness. It tends to grip the suits pretty well and prevents unwanted movement too.

Does anyone have recommendations for OD size bungee for a G2? I was looking at the 1/8" or maybe 3/16". I'm concerned the thinner one may 'cut' in to my arm when doing warm water dives w/o wetsuit.

When I using rental BC's I tucked it into my cumber-bun. I bought a Zeagle Zena which is a zip front. No place to tuck the computer :(
When I had a Pro Plus 2, I used a retractor as well. Now I use a wrist mount AI, so I don’t have that problem

I volunteer at an aquarium, and need to use their gear, so the SPG does need to be managed. Years ago, in my 2nd OW course, the instructor recommended routing the console under the left shoulder strap. I use that routing with the aquarium gear, and it works pretty well to keep it from dangling and in pretty much the same place.

I use the buckle strap that came with the 2 wrist computers I have owned. I also attach a thick rubber band (that goes around my wrist) to the strap with fishing line-- just in case the buckle breaks. Can't lose the DC. I lost a dive watch once as the buckle became undone in a freak "turn-turtle" in surge escapade. That's what gave me the idea. I also use fishing line to attack my leg knife to it's holster. You guessed it- lost a knife out of the holster once too.

Bungee. Less fussy and stays in place.

I am just curious for those of you who have extensive experience with dive computers. Which type of strap do you prefer and why?

I'm going back to GC in a few days to complete my OW (and AOW) certification after getting sick back in December in GC while trying to get it and not being able to complete my 4th dive. When I was there prior I had a buckle strap and I found it quite tedious to put on/off. I have a Zoop Vyper Novo for reference.

The strap was a bit long and it was pretty "curly" so that made it tough to get on. Also when it was wet I found it a bit hard to get the end of the strap into the holders after I would buckle it. All in all, it felt fine once it was buckled, but I found buckling it kind of tedious. Now take into consideration, this was the first time ever taking it on/off at an actual dive site.

Tonight I played around with the bungee strap, and after getting the size to fit snuggly and as I think it will be comfortable, it is a lot easier to take on/off. There is quite a bit of excess bungee cord as well that I will cut off (leaving some slack in case) so that there is less stuff in the way. I tried it on with my wetsuit on and I think I have it at a very good size. However, I only had it on for like 2 minutes, and it was also outside of the water. So I am not sure how being in the water and the wetsuit getting wet will affect it.

So I'm wondering what the general preferences are for you experts and what the pros/cons of them are. For now I plan on probably using the bungee strap since it will just be easier to get on/off but I also don't want any surprises. I plan on bringing the buckle strap on my trip too just in case something goes wrong with it, and I have a small screw driver as well to help with installation.

So are there any surprises I should know about bungee straps that will happen once it gets wet and is in the water for a bit?
A well-designed computer should provide options on whether to use bungee or strap. If the wrist strap looks weak and you wish to continue using it, why not add a bungee for added security.

I bought my petrel years ago from a DM who found it on a cozumel reef and couldn't find the owner. The original straps were attached to it. What does that say?

The first thing I did was replace the straps with bungee. In addition to being more secure, there is no excess to clutter up my wrist, which is important considering all the other crap that's on there for cave diving. And it's easier to put on.

I have no issue with strap in the few dive computer/bottom timer I ever have. Just make sure it is buckled properly and securely.
But I would not buy any new strap because of the stupid cost so I always replaced it with bungee(DIY) if possible.

Both. I use the provided straps & buckles on my Perdix AI. I like them and have not no issues with them. I switched my Peregrine over to bungees. I hated the watch style strap it came with.

I wear my Perdix AI with straps & clips on my right forearm and Peregrine with bungee loops on my left wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom