Don't know what happened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just thought that @Dody is diving recreational, so maybe he has detachable weights; that isn't a good excuse to skip a proper weight check, but very dangerous scenarios are less likely if one just let the belt go...

He was riding the NDL on a 40m dive, according to a different thread. Releasing the belt is better than drowning but I would not call it safe in such a situation.

Yes, I have read all your posts but I might have missed a point.
As for ascend, I always use my legs. I never add air to the BCD. If I was diving deeper than 40 m, it might be different. In a case of rescue, it might also be different.

Not adding air to the BCD is different from losing the one already in the BCD.

I have just thought that @Dody is diving recreational, so maybe he has detachable weights; that isn't a good excuse to skip a proper weight check, but very dangerous scenarios are less likely if one just let the belt go...
I only have a weight belt. But when we realized that I was under weighted, the instructor put two weights in my BCD pockets.
I also noted that as a DM, I should carry extra weight for the students. I was never taught that. But, hey, I am not an instructor :)

As for ascend, I always use my legs. I never add air to the BCD. If I was diving deeper than 40 m, it might be different. In a case of rescue, it might also be different.
You never add any air to your BCD, ever, during a dive? Or you don't add air in order to begin an ascent? You mentioned at one point releasing air as you ascend, so I'm thinking it must be the latter. So to answer the question about whether you can swim up your gear, you need to dump all the air while you're on the bottom, before you begin your ascent, and then try to ascend. This mimics what would happen if your BCD tore and couldn't hold any air at all.

Not adding air to the BCD is different from losing the one already in the BCD.
You are right. I suppose that I should practice emptying the BCD completely at 40 m and see if I can safely ascend with just the power of my legs?

You never add any air to your BCD, ever, during a dive? Or you don't add air in order to begin an ascent? You mentioned at one point releasing air as you ascend, so I'm thinking it must be the latter. So to answer the question about whether you can swim up your gear, you need to dump all the air while you're on the bottom, before you begin your ascent, and then try to ascend. This mimics what would happen if your BCD tore and couldn't hold any air at all.
Correct.

I refer to the low visibility issue here, post #132.

Regarding losing air from your BCD, yes, you should empty it at depth and go back to the surface using only your legs, just do not do it at 40m. Start doing it very shallow (6m?) then gradually increase the depth.

Anyway, after this long discussion, I tend to agree with @Biotech Diver. Better for you to have some 1:1 sessions with an instructor. Probably a couple of days would fix a lot; I would do it in a low visibility environment (quarry or lakes) because it seems to me that you are lacking a bit of experience here. I would do a first dive evaluating the basics (weighting, buoyancy, trim, propulsion techniques). Then, depending on the instructor's feedback, move to navigation in low visibility. Be sure that you have enough thermal protection!

If, against all recommendations, you move to yet another course, consider GUE Fundamentals or equivalent. It should cover a lot of that has been discussed in this and other threads of yours.

If, against all recommendations, you move to yet another course, consider GUE Fundamentals or equivalent. It should cover a lot of that has been discussed in this and other threads of yours.
I was interested in GUE but fundamentalist
Can’t do GUE. I am a recreational cigar smoker. I was interested though. But can’t stand fundamentalists.

Back
Top Bottom