What makes one regulator better than another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would be the difference here.

Canadian Dollar equals
0.81 United States Dollar

Exactly, I can get a nice Apeks set here in Canada cheaper than a comparable ScubaPro set. Location matters as far as choice. Brands such as Deep6 or DGX might be really good but with the exchange and duty fees I'm probably still better off with AL, Apeks, Zeagle or whichever is sold locally (with a rare exception).

@ssssnake529 , as the original poster here, has any of this been helpful? Got more specific questions?

This is all you need, if you dive in cold lakes perfect, dive warm salt water deep perfect, tech diving perfect. Serviced all over the world. Great if you want to service yourself. Check out the price.

ScubaPro MK17 EVO/G260

Didn't know there was such a big price difference on SP between the US and Europe. I can find that same SP MK17 EVO/G260 for about 480USD.

I’m thinking if we are using the car as an analogy, less expensive cars versus more expensive cars.

The car analogy, often used by dive shop sales staff, is very weak, to the point of being nonsensical. Cars are very complex machines that have to do all sorts of things well, and are directly responsible for safety in a crash. Newer cars are generally more reliable with all sorts of safety features. Regulators are just basic valves, and if you are diving correctly, (i.e. with a buddy or other form of alternate air source) then their failure is an inconvenience, nothing more.

The one aspect of the car analogy that has any relevance at all is the fact that some people buy (or sell) cars based on self image and/or narcissism, and some divers (and dealers) do the same with regulators.

For example the atomic T3 very expensive but when you’re underwater you know you’re breathing on something special.
How is this quantified? What tests are done? While I believe that Atomics are very good regs (used to own an M1), so are Apeks, Deep 6, ScubaPro (all regs I’ve owned) and others that I haven’t.

While we all have subjective personal experiences, afaik there is nothing that gives numbers. What is the WOB for example. How is this quantified? I’d imagine that it would be some sort of resistance to overcome, amounts of suction to apply to get different amounts of gas. Not my field of engineering.

Exactly, I can get a nice Apeks set here in Canada cheaper than a comparable ScubaPro set. Location matters as far as choice. Brands such as Deep6 or DGX might be really good but with the exchange and duty fees I'm probably still better off with AL, Apeks, Zeagle or whichever is sold locally (with a rare exception).

Do you have to pay import duties in Canada for something imported from the US?

How is this quantified? What tests are done? While I believe that Atomics are very good regs (used to own an M1), so are Apeks, Deep 6, ScubaPro (all regs I’ve owned) and others that I haven’t.

While we all have subjective personal experiences, afaik there is nothing that gives numbers. What is the WOB for example. How is this quantified? I’d imagine that it would be some sort of resistance to overcome, amounts of suction to apply to get different amounts of gas. Not my field of engineering.

I'd lay money on not being able to tell which reg I'm breathing from (cheap crap excepted).

All I want is a reg that works (i.e. conforms to EN250/whatever) and a comfy mouthpiece which is the only material difference between regulators.

Didn't know there was such a big price difference on SP between the US and Europe. I can find that same SP MK17 EVO/G260 for about 480USD.

A lot of that's down to Value Added Tax (VAT) which levies an additional 20%+ (depending on country) on the nett price.

I believe in the US you only pay sales tax on stuff bought in-state -- which must really help the online retailers.

I believe in the US you only pay sales tax on stuff bought in-state -- which must really help the online retailers.

That's not true any more. I think smaller retailers are either exempt or get away without charging tax, but the big online retailers all have to charge tax now.

Do you have to pay import duties in Canada for something imported from the US?
Yes we do. Usually just a bit more total than our local sales tax (13% in Ontario for example). Exchange rate aside, scuba products are generally better priced in the States compared to Canada. Even a Canadian product like Shearwater sells for less in the States. A Peregrine is now $619 Canadian in Canada vs $553.60 Canadian in the US at the current exchange rate. I can order one from DGX and with free shipping + duty have it delivered to my door from Florida in 2 days for less than buying it locally (unless the LDS is willing to discount). Pretty sad really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom