Need a flag/float - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used this kind for years. Most dive shops in my area sell them for $25. It's definitely the most common type of flag you'll see in Florida. Not as packable as an inflatable but it gets the job done. If you were to lose it or something, not a lot of cash down the drain.

It comes apart, but that styrofoam ball is going to take up some luggage space. I would buy one at your destination and gift it to someone else when leaving.

I like Mako, the whole concept of direct to consumer is great. That said.. $60 for a dive flag? lol

610%2BoOxK3LL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I've used this kind for years. Most dive shops in my area sell them for $25. It's definitely the most common type of flag you'll see in Florida. Not as packable as an inflatable but it gets the job done. If you were to lose it or something, not a lot of cash down the drain.

It comes apart, but that styrofoam ball is going to take up some luggage space. I would buy one at your destination and gift it to someone else when leaving.

I like Mako, the whole concept of direct to consumer is great. That said.. $60 for a dive flag? lol

610%2BoOxK3LL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Buddy and I used that one last summer. Sucks donkey balls. Ugh.

I've used the Omer from shallow free-diving beach dives to 200' + tech dives with scooter. they pull great.

I’m probably going to end up with one of the $20-$30 inflatable floats until I determine how much I’ll be diving these sites.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Buddy and I used that one last summer. Sucks donkey balls. Ugh.

It very quickly becomes a dive buddy, happily trailing along at whatever depth your at.

It very quickly becomes a dive buddy, happily trailing along at whatever depth your at.

Took up too damn much room in my car. Awkward. Felt like the damn thing was taller than I am. That one was borrowed. Don’t want to mess with that one ever again.

If you can drag a large styrofoam ball down to depth, you may want to rethink your weighting.

They're definitely a pita to move around. Once in the water, I haven't had much trouble with that kind of flag. Bonus: you can duct tape a water bottle to it and put your car keys inside the bottle.

If you can drag a large styrofoam ball down to depth, you may want to rethink your weighting.

They're definitely a pita to move around. Once in the water, I haven't had much trouble with that kind of flag. Bonus: you can duct tape a water bottle to it and put your car keys inside the bottle.

I have a valet key for my car and it goes inside a zip pocket on drysuit undies.

If you decide to use inflatable flag, keep in mind that some models do not have the flag connected to the floater, you just stick the flag pole into a vertical tube with the opening at the top of the floater. This design can result in the loss of the flag if the wind blows it out of the hole.

As an FYI, all the flag attachments on our floats are very secure. You should be able to tow the float through moderate surf zone without loss of flag, so there should be zero concern for application in inland lakes.

Also, I have limited experience in this but, towing an SMB for any distance or speed will generate a ton of drag and quickly become a burden.

Back
Top Bottom