New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was the issue connecting to USB? As most VM software don't handle this well, you have to connect the USB device and then go into settings, and associate the device to the VM.

Yes. I am fairly savvy with Windows and with VMs. I write Windows software for a living and have used VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion, Hyper-V, and VirtualBox extensively.

I could not ever get the VESC tool (in the Windows VM) to recognize when the scooter was connected to the USB port. It seemed that VMware Fusion did not recognize that it was connected and therefore would not allow me to map the Mac USB port to anything in the VM. Actually, it seemed that the Macbook itself did not detect that I had connected the scooter.

But, as I said, the Mac-native build of the VESC tool worked exactly as the video (from Dive-X) described for the Windows one working.

Which version of VESC Tool did you use on the Mac? Have found version 1.08, but the windows version seems to be version 3.

I can't remember for sure. I had posted the details as a comment on YouTube on the Dive-X instructional video. Read my comment and then the additional info in one of my replies:

I could not ever get the VESC tool (in the Windows VM) to recognize when the scooter was connected to the USB port. It seemed that VMware Fusion did not recognize that it was connected and therefore would not allow me to map the Mac USB port to anything in the VM. Actually, it seemed that the Macbook itself did not detect that I had connected the scooter.

Ok I think I know what it is doing, more than likely it doesn't establish the either the cable or the controller as a device. Yeah those type of USB devices won't work on VM software unless you can handle the entire USB bus to the VM. Which I don't believe you can do on Mac OS. I've gotten them to work on ESX, but never on Fusion.

Whoever designed it should be beaten with a wiffle ball bat and be forced to redesign it.

I can't remember for sure. I had posted the details as a comment on YouTube on the Dive-X instructional video. Read my comment and then the additional info in one of my replies:

You used version 2.03 for the Mac (Release v2.03 · rpasichnyk/vesc_tool). Have loaded it and sparked it up. Need to connect said Mac to the aforementioned Blacktip.

Thanks v. much :)

Woo hoo - have upgraded the firmware to 1.15, downloaded from Dive Xtras (search for "Blacktip firmware update" - BlackTip Firmware Programming V1.15)

Used the 2.03 VESC software for a Mac (Release v2.03 · rpasichnyk/vesc_tool); used an older Mac with a normal USB port and an extended USB cable.

Needed to change the screen rotation from 1 to 0.

It worked! Thanks for your help.

I upgraded to v1.18 a month or so ago. I promptly determined that the new "Safe Start" algorithm is really nothing but 3 full seconds of turning the prop very slowly before going to the desired speed. I turned off Safe Start and I am much more happy with my BlackTip now.

I have had to change the screen rotation on every firmware upgrade I have done, on every BlackTip I've done them on (mine and a couple of friends).

The big thing that I wanted 1.18 for is the ability to turn off the part where it detects an unbalanced battery (or something like that). I had a dive last Fall where my scooter kept shutting off under a high load and (I think) displaying something that indicated the battery levels weren't matching. I did not actually turn off that setting yet. I just wanted to easily be able to in the future, if I decide I need to. Since upgrading to 1.18 and turning off Safe Start, my scooter has worked without any problems.

I don't yet know why but with 1.18 and Safe Start turned on, my scooter would start and run normally in air, but when I took it in the water, it would never go past the Safe Start test and actually run. It would turn the prop for a second and then just shut off. I turned Safe Start off and have had no further problems of any kind.

I've updated a number of Blacktip firmwares, for myself and friends. As far as screen rotation, before I start the firmware update, I will get a listing of the current parameters with the $$ terminal command, and specifically note the screen rotation value. Then I'll update the firmware, and the next thing I do is reset the display rotation with the $R command to the same value as before the firmware update.

More secondhand info from the same FB thread:

”what I heard from the engineer today was a 100m/330’ rating, but tested to 600’ where it will collapse, but not rupture, and then return to its original shape when it’s taken back up. So a non catastrophic failure.”
Do these DPVs have overload/overheating switches? I heard that some technical diver perished when his DPV imploded. From initial reports, he may have been momentarily concussed before drowning.

Implosion isn’t a serious issue as the housings and seals are more likely to fail, flooding the DPV. Pressure will be uniformly applied to the body which will have plenty of reserve strength to survive excess depth, unless it was pierced or smashed against something, etc.

Divers are far more at risk from falling debris from rocks, wrecks, mine workings, anchors, fishing nets and lines, etc. Divers are at even more at risk from CCR and stage breathing equipment failures. Humans are susceptible to myriad physiological failures such as cardio-vascular event - heart attack or stroke, etc.

When your time's up. It’s up. In the meantime enjoy what you’ve got, so get out and do it.

So, a team of us are getting ready to purchase a few bt tech and as I usually go the diy route I’m looking into this. Considering building 5s3p packs using LG m50’s as I have these in bulk and they are great 10A batteries, so should be fine regarding draw (max 23A) with 3P.
I have seen shell kits for 21700/18650 via AliExpress where it includes all except the batteries and they work really well. Trying to find some that would fit 15 cells is the tricky part..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom