Best Doubles Wing?

Which wing?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love forums in general not just diving but in general.

I'm trying to decide between honda and Toyota. Responses I like chevy, a lot of people drive ford's here, have you looked at Kia.

Be sure and also give Subaru a consideration.

I don't exactly agree. Different wings have slightly different shapes and therefore different buoyancy characteristics. I am able to trim out well in some wings and not others. Then you also have the quality of the materials and the construction involved. All wings are not the same IMO.

With that said I have no clue who Tecline is. I've never seen their wings nor heard of the manufacturer. They may be fantastic. I have no data one way or the other. I do know Halcyon and their wings are top notch and are made with high quality materials and construction. They also provide outstanding customer service which is something to consider.

Yes I 100% agree different wing shape have different buoyancy characteristics but the OP has listed two very specific wings and both are very similar wing shapes. The OP was asking about the differences between them and to me there is almost none except the brand name and price. Wing is a wing, outer shell with inner balder. According to Halcyon the Evolve wing is: "1000 count Cordura outer shell" and "Urethane coated, 400-denier nylon inner bladder" According to Tecline the 22 SE is: "the outer shell is made from CORDURA 1000D" and "the internal bladder is made from PU 420" I know almost nothing about fabrics so maybe I am reading this wrong but I would say they are made of the same materials and it would seem the Tecline bladder is actually made of a slightly more heavy duty fabric than the Halcyon.

If you are not familiar with Tecline it is kind of like a European version of Deep6 but there product line is significantly larger. Tecline is a Polish based company that has really up'ed there game in recent years. They make very nice high quality products that are basically copies of already tried and proved designs but sell them at a reduced cost, lets be honest how much can you really "re-design" a wing, backplate and harness or a Apeks DST style reg. They also have a joint venture with Seacraft DPV's.

Also please note that the OP is located in Singapore (not to sure how much Halcyon will support someone in Singapore) and having bought diving gear from the OP's local dive shop 300bar and I also have several friends that have bought Tecline wings from them I know they make a very good quality wing and the shop offer good support.

I have a tecline wing and a set of tecline regs. I had significant issues with the regs, to the point that I wanted to change them. On the other hand, the wing has always worked perfectly, but it has been two years since the last time I used it (it's for single tanks, now I go doubles).

Halcyon is magnificent but overpriced: go second hand if you can. Otherwise, my guess is that the tecline would work too.

I have a bit more than 30 dives on my Tecline Wing (single tank) and had no issues so far.

I like halycon expensive but based on them replacing the outer cover on a 12 year old one free they have made a lifetime customer out of my.

My most recent addition View attachment 657289

You can get your initials embroidered?

2nd hand doubles wings are great, but the evolve wings rarely come up for sale and mostly are not priced to be a good bargain either. if you want an evolve, prepare to be very patient and get lucky or have to pay more.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions and thoughts.

Yes I am open to alternatives and suggestions, and I am located in Singapore - hence the choices I made were between tecline and halcyon as they are available locally. There are also other brands available from my LDS(s) such as DIR zone but halcyon seems to have the best rep for DIR diving amongst most of the brands out there.

I understand that everyone has a different opinion on which wing to choose. That being said, I am asking for people who have experienced and used the wings themselves and have something good/bad to say about them.

I currently own a single tank halcyon eclipse wing and have been very happy with it. Basically, I am looking for something that is DIR compliant and is good to last me for awhile as I move into doubles/tech. At this point, it seems like going with halcyon seems to be the safest option.

I have an XDeep Hydros for my doubles wing. Great wing and available in Singapore. There are a few Xdeep distributors there. I got my xdeep sidemount harness from one of them at ADEX.

Back
Top Bottom