Need a flag/float - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a dive float like this when I was diving in Hawaii:
https://www.amazon.com/DiveSmart-Vi...SDFA9GKEJ2Z&psc=1&refRID=TY4GXXTZASDFA9GKEJ2Z

It deflates to almost nothing and has a pocket in the bottom you fill with water to help keep it upright.

I just went to a 'reasonable' depth and anchored the sucker. As long as you enter and leave the water with the float, the Scuba police aren't going to be able to prove anything.

I purchased a dive float like this when I was diving in Hawaii:
https://www.amazon.com/DiveSmart-Vi...SDFA9GKEJ2Z&psc=1&refRID=TY4GXXTZASDFA9GKEJ2Z

It deflates to almost nothing and has a pocket in the bottom you fill with water to help keep it upright.

I just went to a 'reasonable' depth and anchored the sucker. As long as you enter and leave the water with the float, the Scuba police aren't going to be able to prove anything.

Except when the conservation officers have boats… :D

Which lakes are you diving in? A midwestern diver is curious.

Devils Lake and Lake Wazee in WI. Three Oaks in IL. Three Oaks is a former quarry, but the scuba area is a small portion of the entire thing. It’s run by a city parks department as a big recreation area. They require a flag. At only 35 min from me instead of 90 min to my usual quarry (Haigh) and reportedly better viz, I’ll see how Three Oaks is.

Devils Lake and Lake Wazee in WI. Three Oaks in IL. Three Oaks is a former quarry, but the scuba area is a small portion of the entire thing. It’s run by a city parks department as a big recreation area. They require a flag. At only 35 min from me instead of 90 min to my usual quarry (Haigh) and reportedly better viz, I’ll see how Three Oaks is.
Do any of these sites have flag requirements?

upload_2021-5-5_12-40-22.png
upload_2021-5-5_12-40-40.png

I have an almost identical one to that one just above, and for calm water it is great. I liked it, but it goes under too easily with current. That was why I went to the MAKO Hawaiian Hard Float...

Devil's Lake is a fun dive. When I used to go to Madison WI for work I would drive, bring my gear and dive Lake Mendota and Devil's Lake whenever I could squeeze it in.

@scubadada

Yes they do. That’s why I’m getting a flag.
Ha, I meant flag specifications

Florida Statute 327.331
(c) “Divers-down flag” means a flag that meets the following specifications:
1. The flag must be square or rectangular. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height, or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The flag must have a wire or other stiffener to hold it fully unfurled and extended in the absence of a wind or breeze.
2. The flag must be red with a white diagonal stripe that begins at the top staff-side of the flag and extends diagonally to the lower opposite corner. The width of the stripe must be 25 percent of the height of the flag.
3. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed on a buoy or float towed by the diver is 12 inches by 12 inches. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed from a vessel or structure is 20 inches by 24 inches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom