Shearwater AI Tansmitter Battery Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I saw two different warnings.

had the same experience as @KWS
I was teaching for 2 weeks and my "norm" is to pressurize my regulators first thing in the morning, usually around 0730, and they stay pressurized until at least 1500 the next day. Doubles get depressurized for filling, then repeat this about 4-5 times. I tried to remember that I can't do that with these, and while they lasted the duration of teaching, which was 8 days in this case with probably 50% remembering to depressurize, I went diving last saturday and one of them was dead dead, and the other was flashing low battery and coming in and out intermittently. Not a huge deal since it was shallow and I got it frequently enough to not be concerned, but I didn't have a low battery warning on the last day of diving the week prior, and they seemed to fail with diminished range vs. outright off. I could raise my hand back to each side of the doubles and get the pressure back, but that was it.

I will now be swapping batteries out before each big "trip" because of that

Similar experience to @KWS and @tbone1004
My Perdix AI lasts about 100 dives or so. So while guiding, I change the batteries every 5 weeks or so. In addition, I always make sure that my tank valves are off.

I have had my Oceanic Atom 3.0 with transmitter (which is the same transmitter that I use with my Perdix AI) for 3 1/2 years now. I've done almost 200 dives with it, plus many more pool sessions. My transmitter is still on the original battery and my computer still shows the TMT BATT status as Good.

I'm not advocating waiting that long to change the battery. I'm just saying that they CAN last a really long time. I'm only continuing to use mine just to see how long it will actually go. Once I change it the first time, I will continue to change it once a year. The CR2 batteries are cheap...

I just purchased a new battery from Amazon (Energizer brand) after my Shearwater AI Transmitter lost comms on the last 2 dives. Do I need to replace the o-ring(s) along with the battery? What do I need to order if so? Thanks

I just purchased a new battery from Amazon (Energizer brand) after my Shearwater AI Transmitter lost comms on the last 2 dives. Do I need to replace the o-ring(s) along with the battery? What do I need to order if so? Thanks

I replaced the o-rings, they are cheap, and the transmitter is expensive.

The o-ring is AS568-016, Nitrile (Buna-N) A70 if you are in the US you can call up Sterling Seal and Supply, they sell on Amazon, but they sell 100 packs of o-rings for a fairly reasonable price shipped.

Use a $5 battery meter to know how much voltage is left

I used the stock shearwater battery for about 120 dives.
Then I decided to change the battery - why not? I didn't have a volt meter at the time.

I swapped it to a lithium energizer. That battery lasted only 20 dives before the dive computer alerted me to a low transmitter battery.

I checked the voltage and it was indeed low. Fluke? Defective battery? Who knows.

I changed it to an ultra lithium 10 dives ago.

If you're really pedantic, check it with this or keep a new battery in your dive kit.

Battery-Capacity-Tester-Battery-Tester-Indicator-Battery-Cell-Tester-AA-AAA-C-D-9V-Volt-Button.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Use a $5 battery meter to know how much voltage is left

I used my first perdix AI for 60 dives - then it got replaced (long story but it sorta broke and wouldn't turn on and INSTANTLY replaced by Shearwater). I was in the UAE, emailed them that in two days I'd be on my way to Indonesia via Singapore. They got their Asia HQ to get in contact with me - it got replaced in Singapore when I arrived for transit.

Anyways, I used that computer for 60 dives before deciding to change the battery.
I used an Energizer lithium and 20 dives later I got a low battery warning.
I checked the voltage and it was indeed low. Fluke? Defective battery? Who knows.

I changed it to an ultra lithium 10 dives ago.

If you're really pedantic, check it with this or keep a new battery in your dive kit.

Ummm.... I think the question was about the transmitter battery, not the computer battery...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom