Need a flag/float - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a dive float like this when I was diving in Hawaii:
https://www.amazon.com/DiveSmart-Vi...SDFA9GKEJ2Z&psc=1&refRID=TY4GXXTZASDFA9GKEJ2Z

It deflates to almost nothing and has a pocket in the bottom you fill with water to help keep it upright.

I just went to a 'reasonable' depth and anchored the sucker. As long as you enter and leave the water with the float, the Scuba police aren't going to be able to prove anything.
That's the flag I was talking about. One gust of wind and the flag is lost.

Hawaiian law does not specify how far a diver should be from the flag, and since any such distance can't be enforced nobody cares--although, Florida law requires the diver to stay "within reasonable distance from the flag", whatever this means. However, Hawaiian law forbids divers to surface more than 100 ft away from the flag or more than 50 ft when diving in navigable streams. Since boat traffic is low, I always leave my flag at about 30 ft when diving in Hawaii and pick it up on my way back. This won't work in Florida where boat traffic is high and chances are high your flag will be stolen.

That's important to consider. Towing a flag where it can be windy you definitely need to factor in how much exposed surface area there is on the flag and float. If there's too much exposed surface area it can be a PITA towing the flag in the wind.

Florida law requires the diver to stay "within reasonable distance from the flag"
You've misunderstood the law for Florida. The law sets specific distances, but provides you an out with the "reasonable effort" clause.
The Man:
(4) Divers shall make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet of a divers-down warning device on rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. A person operating a vessel on a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 100 feet from any divers-down warning device.
(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of a divers-down warning device on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. A person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down warning device.
source: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Hawaiian law does not specify how far a diver should be from the flag, and since any such distance can't be enforced nobody cares--although, Florida law requires the diver to stay "within reasonable distance from the flag", whatever this means. However, Hawaiian law forbids divers to surface more than 100 ft away from the flag or more than 50 ft when diving in navigable streams. Since boat traffic is low, I always leave my flag at about 30 ft when diving in Hawaii and pick it up on my way back. This won't work in Florida where boat traffic is high and chances are high your flag will be stolen.
The diving is drift in SE Florida, you can't leave your flag and go back for it at the end of the dive. You can hook into the reef and swim around a bit.

I use the flag in post #36 in high current and high winds. It does fine, of course, I am drifting with it much of the time.

The diving is drift in SE Florida, you can't leave your flag and go back for it at the end of the dive. You can hook into the reef and swim around a bit.

I use the flag in post #36 in high current and high winds. It does fine, of course, I am drifting with it much of the time.

Drifting the Niagara River (you physically cannot stop), those are frequently pulled under. The reason is because of the velocity profile. The bottom (where you are) is slowest due to friction between water and the bottom, the next slowest is the surface due to friction between water and air (but much faster than the bottom), and the middle water column is fastest....

Drifting the Niagara River (you physically cannot stop), those are frequently pulled under. The reason is because of the velocity profile. The bottom (where you are) is slowest due to friction between water and the bottom, the next slowest is the surface due to friction between water and air (but much faster than the bottom), and the middle water column is fastest....
Yes, I drift in the ocean in SE Florida. The surface is often faster than the bottom but the differential, and absolute speed is likely significantly different.

@Marie13 will be in lakes and a quarry, the current will probably be less :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom