Can Anyone Out There Bring Us Up To Date On Current Progress Of "Powerswim" (DARPA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, here's the photos of the finalized reconditioning of my Aqueon:

51156447161_3804f05eec_k.jpg
IMG_0124 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

51156447411_da61b17c36_k.jpg
IMG_0123 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

So now, after about thirty plus years, the Aqueon is back together. Note the back right stabilizing wing is new. I also have the front line put together in a manner that I can re-tie it to give me different spring strengths by either loosening it or tightening it. But I probably cannot do that with my diving gloves on. I also adjusted it so that the main stem doesn't come up so high on my waist, which may give me more ability to surface dive with the Aqueon.

It looks like it might get wet soon, as the river is in shape, and I have a shallow area that I could use as a test bed without the hazard of the upper area of the High Rocks site. So I may have some information on it fairly soon.

SeaRat

Reactions: OTF

Will this state-of-the-art equipment and training soon become standard fare for basic or advanced scuba certifications for general students, or are they restricted for military use only? Are a lot of instructors by now being certified to teach with use of this advanced scuba gear? Well worth the time and investment to bring scuba diving further into our 21st century with these remarkable improvements. Hopefully being made available to more general scuba audiences and participants.
I use the Dolphin kick when I'm bored.

Well, my Aqueon now sports two blue shin and knee pads on each side, courtesy of an old 1/4 inch neoprene hood I haven't used in years. It was sacrificed for the production of the pads. This Aqueon is now completely ready for the water.

The first dive may happen this week, but photos and a video will have to wait until I'm completely comfortable with it in the water. One thing at a time.

SeaRat

PS, I posted the patent on the PowerSwim machine earlier, but here it is again:
US10392090B2 - Swimming propulsion device - Google Patents

This patent has a huge number of drawings, and incorporates some designs which have not been materially made yet. It appears that the company, Deka Products LP, to whom the patent is assigned, has covered the bases for manufacturing this device. There is also detailed descriptions of the theory of operation of this device.

One of the things I found out while looking at the Aqueon patent and materials is that the rear stabilizing fins work to provide a fulcrum for the front fins to work. They provide resistance to movement, which translates into better leverage and more power for the front fins.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.17.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.17.47 PM.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.17.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.17.29 PM.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: OTF
Well, I was going to get the Aqueon wet today, but instead decided to sleep in and relax. I was feeling pretty "drained" today, and besides it's raining today. So my next opportunity will probably be in about two weeks. :wink:

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom