Thoughts on Shearwater Cloud App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick Star

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings Divers,

As I was about to download the Shearwater Cloud app and use it to sync with my Peregrine, I thought I would poke around the app store and check out the reviews and see if there was any worthy competition. In the Apple Store, I found the SC app to only have a rating of 3/5. Some of the criticisms include problems with scrolling and general functionality, having to re-type the dive location for ever single dive, etc.. The app was updated about four weeks ago, so that may have resolved some of the criticisms.

What have your experiences been like?

The competition appears to be Deep Tools. That app claims to be able to sync with Shearwater computers via Bluetooth and has an average rating of 4.5/5. It requires a minimal monthly subscription ($1.99).

Does anyone have experience with Deep Tools?

Compare? Contrast? Advice?

Again, thank you all for your wise counsel.

If you run Apple gadgets, get MacDive. I’ve been using it for five years. Developer very responsive to questions. One time cost.

Really like Shearwater Cloud. I like that it syncs between my devices - phone, tablet, laptop. It has sufficient info and is easy to use with an excellent User Interface. Works well for Bluetooth downloading. Like all Shearwater products, it just works.

I use MultiDeco for planning.

I've been using Shearwater Cloud for years. It's certainly not perfect but honestly none of the dive log apps are and I've experimented with most of them. Shearwater has improved it over the years and it is getting better. I am able to sync to my Perdix and Peregrine to my phone without issue. I am able to sync to Shearwater Cloud Desktop on my laptop without issue. It still has design elements I don't like, but as I said, I can say that about all of them. It's more about learning the one you decide to use and figuring out how to make it work for you.

It is NOT my primary dive log. For me that is a custom spreadsheet that I developed that has all of my dives logged since #1. I don't trust ANY app to be my sole dive log.

HI @Patrick Star

I have had a Teric for two years (actually got a replacement after 1 year), but only relatively recently downloaded the Shearwater Cloud and started using it. I think you will want the application to download firmware updates. The app works perfectly well for me. I have downloaded all 117 dives on this computer, went smoothly. I have the app on laptop, tablet, and android phone, the sync is perfect. Bluetooth communication has been flawless for me. I upgraded firmware, worked perfectly. Entering dive location and site is not difficult, the locations and sites are saved and come up in a dropdown menu when you start typing.

I only do no stop and light back gas deco. Between the graphic and the summaries, the information provided is all I would want. Actually, I would like to be able to enter the cylinder used and have it calculate my RMV, but that is a small nuisance. If I recall correctly, some of the complaints regarding the Cloud have come from technical divers, it might not work as well for some of them. You might be able to find some previous reviews on SB by using the search function.

I also use MultiDeco for dive planning, though the deco planning on the Teric is generally more than adequate for my use, except for mulilevel. As per @JimBlay I keep a spreadsheet with all 2007 of my dives on it :)

This:
I upgraded firmware, worked perfectly.

I hadn't even considered the need to have a portal for firmware upgrades. If I recall correctly, part of Shearwater's great reputation is doing periodic upgrades, always improving.

I have downloaded their app and will see how it goes. If I find issues, I will look to the other options suggested.

Thank you all.

This:

I hadn't even considered the need to have a portal for firmware upgrades. If I recall correctly, part of Shearwater's great reputation is doing periodic upgrades, always improving.

I have downloaded their app and will see how it goes. If I find issues, I will look to the other options suggested.

Thank you all.

You honestly shouldn't have any issues. The application has worked perfectly well for the years that I've used it. The question is whether you like it or not. That is what drives some users to other dive log apps. I've not heard of anyone having "issues" with the application. Plus, as @scubadada mentioned, you will need it for firmware upgrades regardless of whether you use it for your dive log.

If you run Apple gadgets, get MacDive. I’ve been using it for five years. Developer very responsive to questions. One time cost.

MacDive... looks pretty cool. I might use it along side shearwaters app to see how its compares.

What benefits over Shearwater Cloud?

What benefits over Shearwater Cloud?

I like the UI better. Plus I had already been using MacDive for over a year with another computer when I got my Perdix AI. Also, MacDive will give you your RMV if you input tank size.

I also prefer to control my own backup data. Mine is synced in iCloud.

I pretty much only use the Shearwater app for updates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom