For Sale Beco Powerhead Bang Stick 223 Caliber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darth Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Up for sale is my steel Beco Powerhead in .223 caliber.

I have never posted here so I hope I'm not breaking any board rules. I used to live in Tampa, Florida but I now live in Utah. I haven't spearfished in a long while so I am selling my Beco powerhead.

Here's a little description I posted on a local Utah classifieds site:

Powerheads or Bang Sticks are used mainly for fishing, spearfishing, protection against underwater predators and alligator control/hunting but they are also used in farms for livestock slaughter, to kill snakes, etc. They can be attached to a pole or a spear.

Comes with a safety pin and a steel cable that keeps both parts of the powerhead together and prevents losing one of them.

I prefer text messages over phone calls but if you must call me you can leave me a voicemail and I’ll call you back. 801-425-2858

Shipping is free anywhere in the continental US. The powerhead will be attached to a section of spear with a very small welding point to comply with ATF regulations. The section of spear will be easily broken off.

Attachments

• b1.jpeg
    b1.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 295
  • b2.jpeg
    b2.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 170
  • b4.jpeg
    b4.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 172
  • b5.jpeg
    b5.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 227
  • b6.jpeg
    b6.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 199
Be very careful what you are doing
It appears to me that you may end up unintentionally selling a restricted Firearm across state lines without going through a FFL holder without the SOT taxstamp (machinegun dealer).
Stolen from Wikipedia:
"A powerhead may be considered a firearm under some circumstances. In the US, the ATF considers a powerhead a firearm if it is not permanently affixed to a shaft; generally powerheads are sold spot welded to a temporary steel shaft giving an overall length of greater than 18 inches (45 cm). After installing permanently on a spear shaft, the spot weld is cut, and the temporary shaft discarded.[3] Revenue Ruling 55-569, C.B. 1955-2, 483 says:

A device ostensibly designed for submarine spear fishing, but capable of chambering and firing .22 caliber rimfire ammunition, is a firearm within the purview of the National Firearms Act. However, such device, if permanently attached to the speargun shaft by the manufacturer, would not be a firearm.

— Revenue Ruling 55-569, C.B. 1955-2, 483
This ruling is with regard to the National Firearms Act, and not to the 1968 Gun Control Act. (The National Firearms Act defines 'firearm' as machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and concealable firearms that are neither pistols nor revolvers.) This means that powerheads may still be under the authority of the 1968 Gun Control Act with regard to shipping them and purchase of them from licensed dealers.[3]

Laws may also prohibit the use of powerheads in sport fishing. They are allowed in US federally controlled waters, but many states prohibit their use in state controlled waters. One can be easily in violation of state law despite being compliant with federal regulations."

Michael

Hi Michael. Thank you for that. Yes, if the powerhead isn't affixed to a shaft, pole or spear it would be considered a firearm, that's why it has to be shipped affixed to a section of spear. Mine was shipped welded to it and I had to break off the spear from the powerhead. I am planning to do the same, ship it attached to a spear of the legal lenght for shipping. That's how dealers and manufacturers still ship them across state lines without the need to go through an FFL holder. Another option is to ship the powerhead in two separate boxes because legally the content of each box isn't a firearm, just a piece of metal that can't function without the other part.

Glad to hear that you understand enough to keep out of jail. Powerheads, under current NFA interpretations,are easy to screw up earning the uninformed a 2-3 year vacation at federal expense.:(

Michael

I rather be working than spending time at any federal resorts! lol. Thank you for looking out for a fellow diver.

Another option is to ship the powerhead in two separate boxes because legally the content of each box isn't a firearm, just a piece of metal that can't function without the other part.

This is not correct. From the perspective of federal regulations, one of the parts is ALWAYS the firearm if the device is regulated as a firearm. The assembly/disassembly does not change that. Many people are familiar with this concept from the lower receiver of AR15 pattern firearms. It may be difficult to discern how that applies in this instance, but separating the pieces is absolutely never a legal strategy to avoid BATFE regulations.

You are right Jeremy, I forgot to add that one of the parts still have to be attached to the spear for it not to be considered a firearm. I know that Beco ships in one box, also Bills Bang Sticks. Threat PH ships in two boxes. If you ship a lower receiver in different boxes it definitely is still a lower receiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom