THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One point, when decompressing in a current, unless you’re holding on to a shot/anchor line, you’ll be floating within a body of water that is calm and still relative to yourself, so unless there’s some bottom topography pushing up the water, you’d be hardly aware that you’re moving.

Same in waves and swell; only your SMB spool/reel bouncing up and down will give you a clue as to the mayhem going on at the surface. Until you surface and you feel very small whilst waiting for the boat to pick you up.

Alternatively being able to stop motionless to look closely at something, gently back-finning and helicopter turning to adjust any offset from the current. Moving inside the wreck and not kicking up any silt or dislodging slabs from above. Turning around to backreference by gently using one's fins. Maybe holding a camera, or digging into some crevice for a long-lost artefact. Even if not in a wreck, being able to hold a position on a wall, or just inches away from some fragile fauna without touching anything with ones hands.

Exactly!
Being horizontal is required for total control.
Up and down is buoyancy. Sure, you can kick up or down. Under normal conditions, why would you?

No it’s not. And the only time it’s comfortable is looking down, otherwise it’s a pain in the neck (literally) unless you have eyes on the top of your head.

I've forgotten...
Dial in a SM rig and enjoy the mobility!
Drifting like debris is fine until the current pushes you into structure.
How do you perform the Buddha Back-up?

He is speaking about conditions like strong currents. These conditions, according to him, are better suited for a non-horizontal position (it actually depends... if one is doing a deco stop in such conditions, it might be better to stay horizontal)

The funny thing is that such conditions, in my experience, are very rare, but they exist for sure. Here people speak about these conditions as if they are the norm.

The second funny thing is that, apparently, there exists scuba police that forces people to have a specific trim. I never met a diver who tried to convince others to dive horizontally, never.

But I have limited experience, maybe this is why...
Inside a cave or wreck YES otherwise it is debatable.
When on horizontal position my eyes are looking down. And if I have to see where I am going the only way is to lift my head. As a human being it is NOT natural because it cause stress on the neck. Our body has been designed to stand up and look forward.
On decompression stop that is another story because you are going no where and usually there is nothing to see around you in blue water. All I have to do is stay eye contact with my buddy, with occasional signaling to ascend to next stop or whatnot, and check the time so I can look down most of the time.
Do whatever way you prefer.

And the only time it’s comfortable is looking down,
Most of the time I am looking down or to the side. Especially while on a wall or reef. Critters are hiding in the sea fans and such.

Drifting like debris is fine until the current pushes you into structure.
When did that happen to you because it never happened to me, I can drift through a wreck under complete control.

Most of the time I am looking down or to the side. Especially while on a wall or reef. Critters are hiding in the sea fans and such.
In that case a horizontal trim suits you. I find taking video about 45 degrees suits me best.

In that case a horizontal trim suits you. I find taking video about 45 degrees suits me best.
Whatever works, works. :D here's my video while trim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom