Best Caribbean diving--what do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarzana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After having to cancel Hawaii trip yesterday, I am looking for an excellent dive area that is open for visitors during this covid time. I am an experience diver and underwater photographer with 45 years of diving the world-- although not too much in the Caribbean...(only Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao, Roatan, Panama, Saba, Cuba) Where else do you suggest in the Caribbean that is open, excellent and that you have experienced recently?
Thank you ahead of time for your answers!

Head to the T&C or Coz. Belize is open too. Can't miss with any of the 3. Don't try St. Vincent!!!!!

I recommend any of the Cayman Islands. Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman offers up some great diving. Unfortunately our 2020 trip with them was canceled due to the evil virus outbreak. Thumbs up for Cozumel too! I would definitely avoid Saint Kitts...

Best Cayman Islands Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Trips - Ocean Frontiers

A couple of issues...what's reputedly the best, and what's the best that's open right now? Over the years, the destination I've seen most often touted as 'best in the Caribbean' is Little Cayman, along Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight, with Cayman Brac a close second (reputedly dives average a little deeper, IIRC from someone's trip report). On a Cayman Aggressor IV trip, out of 25 dives, 18 were at Little Cayman, and yeah, I can't say I've seen better. But the Caymans aren't open right now.

But for reef, I was about equally impressed with the outer atolls via the Sun Dancer II (since renamed the Belize Aggressor IV). A live-aboard isn't the only way to get out there, but for some of us, perhaps the best. Belize is open.

I heard Turks & Caicos claimed as such a destination, so I tried them via live-aboard. I enjoyed the trip and was happy with the boat and crew...but for coral reef diving, sorry, I rate the Caymans and Belize's outer atolls higher. I hear T&C is open.

Bonaire is nice reef, particularly to the far south (e.g.: a site called Sweet Dreams). I've only had one trip to Curacao, diving the eastern region near Willemstad (not Westpunt where I'm told the best diving is), but I liked it fine. You've been to those, and Roatan. I've not yet been to Roatan; it's open! We see reports from Curacao, and some people made it to Bonaire.

If you haven't been to Cozumel, you owe it to yourself to go. I'm not claiming it's the best...but it is good, the topside fun and has good, affordable food, and overall trip costs from the U.S. tend to be good (I don't know about from Panama).
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

Richard.

do we really consider cozumel part of the caribbean ? :)

you said you have been to Saba. have you been to st maarten ? i know they have been accepting travellers for a long time. they have a whole process in place. you need to test negative. they also offer an insurance plan in case you fail your test to return home.

*** i do not support the idea international travel at this time ***

Think about San Salvador in the Bahamas. Only one real place to stay, Riding Rock Resort, but I really liked the underwater architecture and sharks make a daily appearance. If lucky, some hammerheads.

Rob

do we really consider cozumel part of the caribbean ? :)

you said you have been to Saba. have you been to st maarten ? i know they have been accepting travellers for a long time. they have a whole process in place. you need to test negative. they also offer an insurance plan in case you fail your test to return home.

*** i do not support the idea international travel at this time ***
I have been told by a long time resident of St. Thomas that St Maartin's reefs are not that great.. so will skip. Will be vaccinated by the time I go somewhere so am not real concerned with a positive test.

Back
Top Bottom