Regulator Set up - input from more experienced divers, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Desmarais

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After a year of renting gear I am now satisfied I love diving enough and want to invest in my own rig. I have a backplate wing set up and everything else except my regulator.

I have been investigating and think I will go with the HOG kit - it seems like a good bang for the buck - not prohibitively expensive for a warm-water, recreational diver relatively new to the sport, but good enough quality to let me grow into different specialties if I decide to get more serious.

I think I know what reg set up I want - A long-hose primary with my safe-second stage on a necklace. My question is, for my hoses, what length is optimal?

Alternatively, is there a consensus on using the octo on the inflator, like the Atomic SS1? I like the idea of fewer hoses and stuff - I like a simple rig.

Any input would be most welcome.

Nothing wrong with these ideas you already have, nothing wrong with an SS1, I’ve moved away form Octo inflators mainly because I have a lot of regular second stages which are easier to service and adjust.

Typically long hose is usually 7'. Octo on a necklace is 22" hose. Some use 5' long hose if not in overhead environment.

I personally think having an secondary on the BCD defeats the purpose of DIR style setup with a long hose primary donate.

Would you like to breath off someones octo-inflator in an emergency?

As stated above 7' (or 5' ) long hose, 22" for Secondary. HOG Regs are a great choice. I dive HOG D1/Classic combo for everything and took the course and service them myself. Great breathing regs!

Ditch the idea of an integrated Inflator regulator!

i had 2 sets of hog for sidemount. i loved them. i wish i still had them to be honest but had to get rid of them because the shop i work with decided against carrying the brand. i am not sure how the newer models are since the company was sold. i don't seem to hear as much chatter about hog as i did before.

Would you like to breath off someones octo-inflator in an emergency?
The donor gives their primary and breathes of the second stage integrated into the inflator.

It involves practice and cool heads to use. Those on SB who have it are comfortable with it, but I doubt many, if any, have used it with an instabuddy. Could be wrong.

I think I know what reg set up I want - A long-hose primary with my safe-second stage on a necklace. My question is, for my hoses, what length is optimal?
Standard lengths are 7' for the long hose and 22" for the necklaced hose (for single tank). If you are much bigger than average, then a 24" will be more comfortable.

Alternatively, is there a consensus on using the octo on the inflator, like the Atomic SS1? I like the idea of fewer hoses and stuff - I like a simple rig.
The consensus is don't do it. Think about how much it will complicate the situation if you need to use it in an emergency: you'll have to manage an ascent with another diver on your primary while you are breathing off your inflator hose.

Alternatively, is there a consensus on using the octo on the inflator, like the Atomic SS1?
As much consensus as there is to using split-fins. I'm in the no camp for both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom