Save the Goliath Grouper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conclusion: FWC RECOMMENDS a limited harvest of Goliath Grouper in Florida waters.

Question: Did FWC staff previously recommend a limited harvest (a few years ago)?

upload_2021-5-8_8-36-16.png

Goliath grouper have been out of control for a while, and they need a harvest season.

Hopefully the FWC will pass something this time.

I have been working as a biologist in Florida for more than 20 years, and I serve on the board of environmental professional groups. I don't know any colleagues that don't agree with me.

Yes, that looks like what they discussed years ago, but did the FWC generate a recommendation FOR harvest (in 2017), as they have now done?
I only know what is contained in the current FWC presentation. It appears that the draft harvest scenario used in the 2017 workshops was not proposed for adoption in 2018. Currently, The FWC states there is an "access opportunity via limited harvest" and that they will draft a rule, if directed to do so. The draft rule would be addressed at a future meeting.

upload_2021-5-8_9-29-42.png

upload_2021-5-8_9-30-7.png

I guess that makes sense, first determine IF Staff recommendation is going to be followed, and if so, then hammer out the details of the harvest.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom