Look what my LDS just gave me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I know this sounds greedy... but you need to ask them what else is ready for the dumpster and clean out their "trash" bin.
They have promised me that they will keep all the old “crap” that comes in and call me to see if I want it.
I also have a Healthways plastic back pack with a stainless tank band in perfect shape that came from there.

You'll be surprised

full.jpg

Eric, you have a bigger problem if those valves are complete inside. The reserve seat on Voit J valves was very prone to becoming brittle and shattering. I highly recommend you disassemble the reserve side and check them. Most other brands used a nylon type seat, some used metal, both of which withstood time but the plastic Voit used gets brittle and can be dangerous. You can either remove the entire seat assembly or just break off the plastic, leaving the rest of the seat holder. Either removes the reserve function but at least the valve is safe to use as a K valve.

As for the relief, not sure about it, maybe Captain knows.

Eric, you have a bigger problem if those valves are complete inside. The reserve seat on Voit J valves was very prone to becoming brittle and shattering. I highly recommend you disassemble the reserve side and check them. Most other brands used a nylon type seat, some used metal, both of which withstood time but the plastic Voit used gets brittle and can be dangerous. You can either remove the entire seat assembly or just break off the plastic, leaving the rest of the seat holder. Either removes the reserve function but at least the valve is safe to use as a K valve.

Aha! You just explained why my other Voit valve reserve never worked. I had one on another tank but I sold it off.
Somebody probably gutted it years ago because of that very problem. I want these to work normal so I’ll tear them down and take a look.
Are there any after market seats available or is it something that I can fab up myself?
@happy-diver just posted a pic showing a hex burst disc installed so I know that will work.
I like that these valves also have an HP port for an SPG. Even with a J lever it’s a nice addition.

Herman,

These J-reserve valves appear to be older than the defective ones. The defective ones (I have one) were the ones that had the same J-reserve module as the Titan/Trieste J-reserve on the regulators. These, Eric's valves, appear to be about 10 years older, and may be okay. But look anyway.

SeaRat

PS, I found the photos of the valve that is the problem. It is the AMF Voit valve with the small J-valve module. Here's what it looks like:

33418478638_c714ea9ea9_k.jpg
IMG_1043 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
Note that the black valve is made of aluminum, and has an intact J-valve seat. The Voit one, chromed, has no seat at all.

33418478278_a9d5ae338d_k.jpg
IMG_1044 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
Here's a closeup of the two seats. It is the same valve, but with a different composition for the seat material. I'm wondering whether AMF Voit was trying to make an anti-magnetic valve for the Navy? This is the valve of concern for the J-valve seat.

Water and salt does not completely drain out even with drain holes, the water evaporates, the salt remains
Thats why after a dive you put tank in a bucket, I use not much hot water, everything is dry here in minutes

Not lose the original boots man that's sacrilege man

But current replaceable stuff, I don't mind modifying

full.jpg

Can you see the million holes I've punched in these current Faber 232bar 120 boots, plenty air to dive plenty places.

I'm sure those valves have the working reserves

full.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha check the label freaks them out when I turn up double hose with helium

I have seen both the tan and black versions be crunchy. I have a bag full of OEM black ones just like the one in Johns photo that are all crunchy....well at least the few I tried, I did not want to destroy the others in case I ever needed an example to work from.
Bottom line, I like J valves but I would never trust a Voit unless I was darn sure it was still OK.

Back
Top Bottom