Ditchable weights / balanced rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one is saying a BC doesn't work. I started diving with one and I've used them over the years as rentals. But I greatly prefer a BP/W because I want to feel like I'm flying underwater. I'm still the kid I was in the deep end of the pool wishing I could stay under forever. When I dive I do barrel rolls and flips and stand on my head and lie on my back midwater to enjoy the sunlight. I fly low and zoom up over coral heads. I have fun, dammit. To do this I want my gear stable, but not constrictive. I want to feel free. I hate the BCs cummerbund and chest strap and single cam strap and all that extra fabric around my chest and torso. I don't want a bear hug when I need to add air to my wing. And I don't want a bunch of weight on my waist flopping around as I maneuver.

The main reason for this being the way the wing wraps around the cylinder(s). Buoyancy is above the centre of buoyancy, so the rig is stable. A backplate, harness and wing is frequently cheaper than a full-on jacket BCD with all the bells and whistles - removable weights, clips and dumps all over the place, etc.

You don't need padding; a one-piece harness will do; a stainless steel backplate (or ali if warm-water diving) is cheap and just buy the thing second hand. The wing's the most expensive component, but there's a lot of very good lower priced ones around. Avoid any wing that has the word "tec" emblazoned on it. That's generally a sign that it's not.

This is what the BCD looks like now. Added crotchstrap, changed D-rings, removed waist plastic buckle and added a metal buckle. Bungee cord for inflater (in 6 days of diving didn't have to use it once to deflate), removed the bells and whistles (mini-accessories that made it look like a Xmas tree).
Octopus holder is temporary as I'm switching to a necklace holder and long hose when I get home (diveinn didn't deliver it before I left).
No weight pockets needed, in a rashguard I use no weights and with a 3mm wetsuit I use 2 kilos strapped to the tank.
This is my shallow water [< 15m, no long hose ] solo dive rig , three way buddy system, me, myself and I .
weight in the trim pockets and some in the small pockets on the waist band [ the other day I had 1/3 of my weights on a rubber weight belt that worked well for going up a boat ladder after passing it up, old guy diving on a local boat].
20210508_151349.jpg 20210508_151401.jpg

snap!

My single cylinder setup, with hydros and additional crotch strap. I've kept the somewhat bulky quick release weight pockets because these make an easy carry for the unit, ie they can be hefted seperately, which makes a difference when you are carrying your unit around a lot as i do in the car to dive sites, and because i'm often in a wetsuit for pool training, and a drysuit for open water, so i have two weight pockets set with the right amount of weight and i just take the matching ones for that days diving setup.

With 5mm suit in the pool, i'll only carry 2 extra kg anyway.

With the angled down HP ports of the MTX 1st stage, the transmitter sits nicely protected under that 1st stage, on a short length of hose and supported by a couple of back to back zip ties to hold it tight and close and not flap around!

Attachments

• Img_5746.jpg
    Img_5746.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 134
Warm water rig

Where did you acquire that backpack , and what weight is it, very nice ?

Yes, I have read about them and seen a few posted on here, yours has the most "bling" I have seen.
I remember this one.
Must go back and look some more.
013.jpg

Yes, I have read about them and seen a few posted on here, yours has the most "bling" I have seen.
I remember this one.
Must go back and look some more.
View attachment 658195
Mine is pretty beat up from use but when new you can really appreciate Eric’s efforts, my heavy plate is unpolished.

Mine is pretty beat up from use but when new you can really appreciate Eric’s efforts, my heavy plate is unpolished.
When you say 'heavy plate', what weight is it ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom