Which kind of diver are you with respect to gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive sidemount... so 2.

+1 for no.2 - not like I have a choice with sidemount :yeahbaby:

Is a sidemount diver ever "done" with their configuration/kit/setup? It sounds like the answer is a big NO.

The sidemount divers I've known were certainly never fully finished with their kit at least not to their complete satisfaction.

1.5, I have an inability to not have at the very least a working knowledge of how everything I own works. I figure out/study up on the nitty gritty as needed. I try to only pay for things to be done for the following reasons

1. it needs to be done NOW,
2. the tools I need to buy cost more than the job and I won't get the opportunity to amortize them.
3. There is no opportunity to get it wrong the first time.

I do enjoy tinkering when there is no critical or immediate need for success. And if I lived closer to diving I enjoy I would likely dive and tinker allot more, either that or focus on free diving and kick the gear habit altogether.

Type 1 here.

CCR diver as well, but Kiss is so simple and easy to use&maintain that suppose that does not count.

Group 2.
single tank BP/W, Twinset, Sidemount, JJ CCR, and now I just added an instructor kit to my inventory. I love playing with different configurations and equipment set ups.
I like having the flexibility to have the right tools for the dive I'm doing. Ok sometimes, I may go a bit overboard, but I like being prepared.

I am definitely in Group 1, always going for the the simplest and the cheapest. And "If I've never seen this gizmo I don't need it!"

However, Group 2 is really diverse. There is the Gear Freak, who is always overloaded with gear and everything is top-notch and extra-durable. He has so much gear on him he looks like a Christmas tree. His BCD holds the tank with at least 2 straps, maybe more. His hose must be extra long and his fins must have springs. On some relaxed Caribbean dive while the girls next to him dive in thong bikinis, closed-heel fins and some garbage rental gear, he'll show up with a backup computer, safety sausage with a spooler, and a pony bottle.

And then there is the Hipster who's just trying to be different. The Hipster has a wing BCD because nobody else has a wing. He has a white wetsuit because nobody else dives in white wetsuit. Etc, etc.

Group 2.

On some relaxed Caribbean dive while the girls next to him dive in thong bikinis, closed-heel fins and some garbage rental gear, he'll show up with a backup computer, safety sausage with a spooler, and a pony bottle.
Where is this, exactly? Asking for a friend... :)

I am definitely in Group 1, always going for the the simplest and the cheapest. And "If I've never seen this gizmo I don't need it!"

However, Group 2 is really diverse. There is the Gear Freak, who is always overloaded with gear and everything is top-notch and extra-durable. He has so much gear on him he looks like a Christmas tree. His BCD holds the tank with at least 2 straps, maybe more. His hose must be extra long and his fins must have springs. On some relaxed Caribbean dive while the girls next to him dive in thong bikinis, closed-heel fins and some garbage rental gear, he'll show up with a backup computer, safety sausage with a spooler, and a pony bottle.

And then there is the Hipster who's just trying to be different. The Hipster has a wing BCD because nobody else has a wing. He has a white wetsuit because nobody else dives in white wetsuit. Etc, etc.

OK, you just described me (long hose, BP/W with 2 cam bands, two computers, safety sausage, spool, and a pony bottle) so I guess that means I'm Group 2. :wink: But I'm not on the boats with the girls in thong bikinis. I must be diving the wrong boats :)

Depends on the dive and equipment I’m using.

OC (sidemount) group 1

CCR, more demanding dives group 2

I can leave my oc equipment in my car after diving in freshwater.

I would never leave my ccr in my car for one week after diving.

Back
Top Bottom