Which kind of diver are you with respect to gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Built my dive light (24W HID) back in 2007 for two reasons, 1 I couldn't afford to spend 1700USD on a light 2. I knew I could build a better one for a lot less money. I used a Li-Ion battery pack and was called everything from stupid to suicidal as Li-Ion and water don't mix well. Now everyone uses Li-Ion. Bought an Inspiration classic in 2007 and had it for less than a year. It was just too much plastic, and not enough scrubber time, so I sold it and built my rebreather, than another one. First one looks much like a Meg second one is a size of a Pathfinder. I have electronics background and also own a lathe, so I make/build everything I can. Also keeps me entertained.(and away from the missus)

Very Respectfully

Roland

Def Type 1, but I do have a thing where I feel that I need 2 tanks straps.

Ive seen too many tanks slipping, and even though I realize 1 strap will be fine if its used correctly, for my peace of mind, my own gear must have 2 tanks straps.

I had a cheap back inflate BC ($220 on closeout) w 2 straps. It died after 15 yrs of service. I looked for another cheap BCD, but couldn't find one w 2 straps. So I had to get a cheap BP/W set up.

Def Type 1, but I do have a thing where I feel that I need 2 tanks straps.

Ive seen too many tanks slipping, and even though I realize 1 strap will be fine if its used correctly, for my peace of mind, my own gear must have 2 tanks straps.

I had a cheap back inflate BC ($220 on closeout) w 2 straps. It died after 15 yrs of service. I looked for another cheap BCD, but couldn't find one w 2 straps. So I had to get a cheap BP/W set up.
I use the Apollo Bio Tank Lock. Not like me to spend $100 on something like that, but haven't had a tank slip since.. 2006? In fact, a week or so ago part of the metal broke and it still has worked (so far...).

Def Group 2. I love diving, but I would also love to try a dräger dolphin, ray, maybe a siebe gormann hardhat, or a kiss, or a triton, or a megalodon, or a liberty sidemount ccr, a revo sounds nice too... Man i wish I was richer :( .
Sometimes I am on second hand sites and I see these ancient 6 liter 300 bar bottles with small conic valves and think to myself... Maybe I should buy those, you know, since I don't have them. They could be fun to dive.

Because everyone has their opinion about so much gear, but most people have never tried these things they love to hate.

I'll try every clip, retractor,harness, boltsnap,climbing carabiner, fenzy, wing,jackets, air2's,one of those weird hip inflating bcd, hell even reversed doubles.

There's only one bridge I won't cross and that's a MARES MR22 RUBY, or an old mk5 with an overtorqued brass turret, because you know, I like to live.

What I'm trying to say is. My hobby is diving gear and diving is just a sidequest, which I enjoy thoroughly.

I tend to buy too much gear. I am curious about how the gear works especially regulators but I don't trust my own skills and I prefer to leave things as they are as long as they work well...

I use the Apollo Bio Tank Lock. Not like me to spend $100 on something like that, but haven't had a tank slip since.. 2006? In fact, a week or so ago part of the metal broke and it still has worked (so far...).

I am *proudly* cheap. But if I think something is important, I will spend the money.

I dont want my tank to slip. $100 is worth it (which is also about the added cost between the cheap DGX BP/W w 2 tank straps I bought, as opposed to a cheap BCD w/ only one strap that I could have bought).

I'm a 1, married to a 2. :)

Back
Top Bottom