Supporting my local dive shop(s) is frustrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even the most gentle baby shampoos can contain sulfates, fragrances, parabens, and other ingredients that are toxic to fish and other marine life. One such ingredient is Sodium Alkyl Sulfate. Even a small drop of shampoo with this ingredient can cause harm.
“Aquatic algae have exhibited toxicosis at AS concentrations from 10mg/l to 1000 mg/L. and terrestrial plants are adversely affected byconcentrations as low as 1 mg/L in applied water. One study indicated that waterfowl may be subject to increased risk of hypothermia indetergent·polluted waters; AS (19 mg/L) was found to dissolve the waterproofing oils in feathers of exposed ducks.” Read more: https://www.aciscience.org/docs/11_Alkyl_Sulfates.pdf

Happy to answer any questions anyone may have regarding our mask defog and other products. Everything we put on our bodies and onto our dive gear is important to consider before entering our beloved aquatic world! Happy diving everyone!

Reactions: OTF
Even the most gentle baby shampoos can contain sulfates, fragrances, parabens, and other ingredients that are toxic to fish and other marine life. One such ingredient is Sodium Alkyl Sulfate. Even a small drop of shampoo with this ingredient can cause harm.
“Aquatic algae have exhibited toxicosis at AS concentrations from 10mg/l to 1000 mg/L. and terrestrial plants are adversely affected byconcentrations as low as 1 mg/L in applied water. One study indicated that waterfowl may be subject to increased risk of hypothermia indetergent·polluted waters; AS (19 mg/L) was found to dissolve the waterproofing oils in feathers of exposed ducks.” Read more: https://www.aciscience.org/docs/11_Alkyl_Sulfates.pdf

Happy to answer any questions anyone may have regarding our mask defog and other products. Everything we put on our bodies and onto our dive gear is important to consider before entering our beloved aquatic world! Happy diving everyone!
Well yeah, every little bit can hurt. But there aren't any drops of shampoo-- you smear it on the inside of your mask lenses and rub with T.P until clear. My guess is the tiny bit of this entering the water when you clear the mask would be like one person smoking a cigarette, adding to air pollution. I would use defog if it came in a bottle the size of baby shampoo at the same price.

Well yeah, every little bit can hurt. But there aren't any drops of shampoo-- you smear it on the inside of your mask lenses and rub with T.P until clear.

What the hell ever happened to tried and true spit? In over four decades, I have yet to purchase anti-foggers of any sort; and have had no issues whatsoever with fogging with either "split" masks or full-face masks . . .

What the hell ever happened to tried and true spit? In over four decades, I have yet to purchase anti-foggers of any sort; and have had no issues whatsoever with fogging with either "split" masks or full-face masks . . .

Spit has worked out better for me too, but safety protocols forbid it now, at least rinsing it in shared freshwater tubs.

Spit has worked out better for me too, but safety protocols forbid it now, at least rinsing it in shared freshwater tubs.

Scheiß! I hadn't even given thought to the covidiocy . . .

Scheiß! I hadn't even given thought to the covidiocy . . .
They’re called the “Branch Covidians”. It’s a new religious cult.
I never put my mask in any communal wash tank.
I just hang it on my tank valve after getting out and the next dive spit into it, smear it around, then swish it out on the surface before I go down.
Spit is all I’ve ever used from day one.

Reactions: yle
Rinse my mask in shared freshwater tub! You cannot be serious.
I do not rinse at all after spitting to my mask before leaving the boat. Repeat the process on the surface, rinse it with sea water before descending.
Baby shampoo is the best alternative in cold water for me if it is provided.

My instructor recommended the integrated air/inflator. He uses one. The dive shop he's affiliated with recommended them too.

I'm pretty sure that I don't need an air compressor or tanks. The shop provides tanks for all of my training classes I am taking to become certified, and even after I am certified, I don't plan on traveling with tanks or filling my own tanks. Any place I will be going to dive will have tanks for rental.
A Divemaster with 20+ years was using the integrated air/inflator while leading a group. A panicked diver ripped his primary out of his mouth while attempting to inflate the Divemaster's air integrated BC to go to the surface. The Divemaster managed to place the air/inflator in his mouth and thus averted a double drowning. He went back to the hose configuration.

A Divemaster with 20+ years was using the integrated air/inflator while leading a group. A panicked diver ripped his primary out of his mouth while attempting to inflate the Divemaster's air integrated BC to go to the surface. The Divemaster managed to place the air/inflator in his mouth and thus averted a double drowning. He went back to the hose configuration.
I have never ever seen a dm using one of those on guiding duty.
Always a first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom