Wetsuit for fat/big guys...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage:
Going through my LDS getting two custom suits from ActionPlus (3mm and 7mm) was a little over 1K. The only upside was since I was getting two suits they waived the custom charge on one of them. I'm less than pleased with the quality, single stiching, and a hole just showed up last time out on the 7mm. Purchased the suits in Feb of this year, 25+ dives now on the 7mm. I'm 5'10", 380 or so and picked up an Akona shorty for my checkout dives in Florida, decent suit, better seem work than my custom and it was only $70 or so....

My experience has been with Akona and Henderson. I was pleased to find an Akona almost as big as my size online, and eagerly awaited its arrival. It was so hard to put on, and not very comfortable after all the effort. Just after diving with it the first time, I tried on a Henderson Hyperstretch at one of my local dive shops. The difference is night and day. It was several times more expensive, just under $300 for 3mm, than the Akona, but TOTALLY worth it. It's definitely not as durable, but the difference in comfort is well worth it from my perspective!

Followup

I tried the Henderson Hyperstretch yesterday...as I said above I'm 5'11" and 275. Tried both 3X and 2X. The 3X was actually to big, but the 2X fit great except for the legs being long, but I think thats me not the suit. Easiest suit to put on and take off, I have ever tried. The one minute claims are correct. VERY comfortable suit. I do prefer the "feel" of the Gold Core better and it would probably be warmer...but the Hyperstretch feels almost like not wearing a suit.

I think I might try to hold out for the new Henderson Insta-Dry....Hyperstretch with Gold Core, should be available in October.

Frank

Triple-L's website is https://store.triple-l.biz/ and they will make a custom wetsuit for an aditional 15% - shipping I have heard runs about $55 since it's shipped from Vietnam - So total price comes to about $100. (I'm considering their custom suit - already own a 3mm shorty xxl)

Trying to find 2021 answer to this 2003 Question. Looking for inexpensive durable 3 mil.suit. Im usually a trunks and rash guard guy but going for a 30 day dive vacation and think i may want a little more for Roatan.

Trying to find 2021 answer to this 2003 Question. Looking for inexpensive durable 3 mil.suit. Im usually a trunks and rash guard guy but going for a 30 day dive vacation and think i may want a little more for Roatan.
I have a Neosport 3/2 that I'm happy with (I also have a Neosport 5mm that I like also). Neosport is made by Henderson, but can usually be found online for somewhere between $99-129.

Hi all,

Warmth and comfort of a wetsuit have mostly to do with fit. Custom suits always fit best because they are cut to *your* measurements.

If you really want a stock-sized wetsuit for some reason either spend many hours trying on every suit you can find and see what fits best, or better yet, measure your chest, height, waist and hips, then compare your measurements to the measurement charts. If any of your measurements differ by more than two inches, you'll really want to go custom.

Hope that helps!
Derek & JMJ

A buddy of mine just purchased a custom from Aquaflight. About the same price as a rack Henderson Hyperstretch - which I have.

He hasn't yet received it, so no comments on quality, etc.

I love the Hyperstretch - I'm 5'8" and 250# - not exactly a rack fit.
Ricky,

Been looking at all these threads to do with bigger guys wetsuits. I happened to notice your size. Is identical to mine. I'm a once muscular old guy that's added a few pounds over the years. What size Hyperstretch are you wearing? Thanks in advance.

I've got an O'Neil Reactor 3/2 that was about $100 new on eBay and an Akona 7mm that was something like $400 new. 6'1" and 350 lbs. Honestly, I prefer the O'Neil, but when you need 7mm you need 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom