Buy pesos at airport ATMs?

Pay for shared shuttle with pesos or USD?

• Pesos

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • USD

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were surprised to find that the ATM was broken. With no way to get pesos out, we couldn't pay for the bus to PDC,

Seems a little heavy handed to me - our local Safeway/Albertson's sometimes runs out of milk. Using your "logic", I should never go in the store again?
No USD either? You can pay ADO with USD. Crappy exchange rate though.

(An aside for you Texan's --- Boy do I wish we had a HEB here).

You could only find one ATM?

Yes, just one - a Santander. A very heavily used ATM.

Seems a little heavy handed to me - our local Safeway/Albertson's sometimes runs out of milk. Using your "logic", I should never go in the store again?
No USD either? You can pay ADO with USD. Crappy exchange rate though.

(An aside for you Texan's --- Boy do I wish we had a HEB here).

Yes, just one - a Santander. A very heavily used ATM.

IIRC I have paid at the ADO with a credit card. I am glad the car worked out, though.

Lol.. el kelemvor math fail. Thanks for the correction.
So that $1k would get me 19,681 pesos and the rate ends up being 1:19.68

That seems like an OK deal to me. Am I wrong? Also, no risk of getting ATM scammed.. since that is reportedly a thing in MX.

That's an unheard of deal.
No reason to doubt you, but are you sure that there are no other fees/charges?
Who from?

Dr. Mack-to answer your question I have used the ATM's a number of times at the airport and have found it very convenient. I didn't on my April trip down as I had a ton of pesos from our last trip down. If you walk out of the arrivals area and instead of turning right to go to the shuttles you go to the left and you go down the hallway and around a corner and they are there close to the departures area. IIRC, there is a government or police office right nearby. Haven't had any issues with the ATM's there. I'lll then supplement what I get there with more from ATMs at Mega or Chedraui if needed and before heading home so I have a small amount when I return. I use my USAA ATM/debit card and have always had any ATM fees waived. It works great for me!

I prefer to pay for the shared shuttle (Zona 2) with pesos and was wondering if anyone has bought pesos at the airport ATM recently?
Use US dollars, and don't forget to tip. Most of the supermarkets may give you a better exchange rate if you shop with them. Adios!

Use US dollars, and don't forget to tip. Most of the supermarkets may give you a better exchange rate if you shop with them. Adios!
Huh? Most things cost more in Cozumel if you pay in USDs. Merchants who accept USDs have to exchange them for MXNs at some point.

Huh? Most things cost more in Cozumel if you pay in USDs. Merchants who accept USDs have to exchange them for MXNs at some point.
Not at Mega and Chedraui! Always pay with USD there.

Not at Mega and Chedraui! Always pay with USD there.
Today Mega's exchange rate was 18.94:1 and the official rate (I use Oanda) was 19.90, about a 5% convenience charge. Stiff but better than Wells Fargo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom