Undepletable oxy sensor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always good for handheld shop analysers.

Those units also cost around US$9K. They were aging out and we couldn't get them serviced so we bought a cheaper (US$5K) paramagnetic one. Not as accurate to the ppm range like the Zirconia ones but we didn't need that accuracy.

As usual, the devil is in the details 'eh? Seems like introducing 700c to an oxygen rich environment is a bit of an autoignition risk.

I did find zirconium oxy sensors from a variety of vendors on alibaba.com for as little as $20 each.

As usual, the devil is in the details 'eh? Seems like introducing 700c to an oxygen rich environment is a bit of an autoignition risk.

And yet there it is, and has been for decades without lighting up eager young lab techs running 100% O2 samples.

Kinda makes one think about what else the industry teaches as gospel may be wrong.

So my conquest in trying the build an undepletable oxygen analyser continued.
Now another question arises, would any one pay 700 to 1k euros for an handheld oxygen analyser with an undepletable sensor?

So my conquest in trying the build an depletable oxygen analyser continued.
Now another question arises, would any one pay 700 to 1k euros for an handheld oxygen analyser with an undepletable sensor?
I would for my dive center, but I'm looking at just breaking even, as I don't need the money, just want to enjoy Greek island life, promote diving and maritime archaeology.

So my conquest in trying the build an undepletable oxygen analyser continued.
unlikely...
I have about a dozen conventional O2 sensors that came out of my CCR. They are still fine in an analyzer for quite some time.

For those diving OC, You can build your own for only a little over $100 USD and most of that cost is the sensor. The annual cost to keep an O2 analyzer operating is about $31
$90 sensor / 3 years
$3 9V battery /3 years

Even on the low end of your pricing, 700EU = $785USD. It will take over 20 years to break even compared to a conventional analyzer. Your price will need to drop a lot to be competitive.

unlikely...
I have about a dozen conventional O2 sensors that came out of my CCR. They are still fine in an analyzer for quite some time.

For those diving OC, You can build your own for only a little over $100 USD and most of that cost is the sensor. The annual cost to keep an O2 analyzer operating is about $31
$90 sensor / 3 years
$3 9V battery /3 years

Even on the low end of your pricing, 700EU = $785USD. It will take over 20 years to break even compared to a conventional analyzer. Your price will need to drop a lot to be competitive.
So, lest say as an added bonus, it could also give you the concentration of helium.
Would that make it competitive enough, in your opinion?

So, lest say as an added bonus, it could also give you the concentration of helium.
Would that make it competitive enough, in your opinion?
Combined O2-helium analyzers cost in the 8-900 euro range right now. Sure you can try to compete with divesoft, analox, or trumix. But on what basis? You aren't cheaper, there isn't much in the way to add feature-wise. You are trying to enter a market with multiple established competitors who already have vendors and distributors.

Back
Top Bottom