If you could change one thing about dive training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor gas management is the main culprit!

Having been trained without the use of an SPG, and numerous dives without a j-valve, I probably ran out of air more than most divers here combined, yet here I am. If one is trained well to deal with the casualty, it does not become an emergency, or a possible fatality.

As I said before, it takes time to make a competent diver. Without taking the time to train a diver to easily deal with an OOA, panic may be their first option. From my experience OOA doesn't kill people, panic does. YMMV.

The idea of divers being in a nanny state is kind of funny, because no one posting in this thread would want the nanny state evaluating a their competency...

I think adding a day or two to OW to include first aid, CPR, and basic competency skills like free diving, boyuancy control, dealing with currents, etc (I haven’t been in a modern OW Class). What concerns me watching my daughter is that she feels pretty confident that she knows everything after OW. I would like her to have a better understanding of how much she doesn’t know. I think it would make her a better diver.
Nanny state--yes. We seem to agree a lot. As you say, no one posting here wants that. But so far, I don't think anyone here bicycle kicks.....
We don't need provisional OW certs. or pros needing to take tests to refresh their certs.
We need divers to use common sense and keep sharp on their own. And not jump into some unknown current (literally or figuratively).
I would only add those few rescue skills I mentioned to your list.

So, you get one wish. You can create a single new rule that will be universally followed, or you can choose to make everyone follow an existing rule that only certain agencies have or that individual instructors often disregard.
One rule. I'd have a standardized skills course that every diver would have to make it through to get their OW cert. Start at 15m (50') and go through a course made up of 1.5m (5') diameter hoops including a few elevation changes and turns. While in one early hoop, remove and replace mask. In another, remove primary second stage and replace with backup which will be used for the rest of the course (I expect the octo inflator will suddenly become less popular). Touching the hoops or bottom with any part of the body or gear, including fins, is a failure.

It would be ideal to include a descent and free ascent with safety stop in this, but probably wouldn't be practical because of the need for continuous instructor monitoring.

You could use the same course for other rec certs like drysuit and DPV. Also for AOW except a 1.2m (4') hoop. Divemaster and Master Diver would get .9m (3').

Make the skills circuit a part of each course, requiring ever increasing levels of mastery to pass as Diver’s progress onto higher cert levels. Some skills would need to be also completed in open water. Buoyancy with a max vertical movement alongside a visual reference at 5m

Deep cert to be removed and replaced with Tech 40 (Or agency equivalent) which is an entry requirement for DM and Master Diver

If you can strap yourself into all that gear disappear underwater for an hour after jumping off a
perfectly good boat then at the end of it all surface alive and climb that stinking ladder you are

a superstar number one diver expert

Perfectly adequately trained with absolutely no requirement for any changes at all

Except for the attitudes of Super Scuba Force, those that think change is required

If someone tells standard divers there is a standard perhaps there would be one

what the heck is happening with these font things

Having been trained without the use of an SPG, and numerous dives without a j-valve, I probably ran out of air more than most divers here combined, yet here I am. If one is trained well to deal with the casualty, it does not become an emergency, or a possible fatality.

As I said before, it takes time to make a competent diver. Without taking the time to train a diver to easily deal with an OOA, panic may be their first option. From my experience OOA doesn't kill people, panic does. YMMV.
But it is the OOA that caused the panic!
Prevention is better than cure. Eliminated such a simple mistake does not require big effort.

If you can strap yourself into all that gear disappear underwater for an hour after jumping off a
perfectly good boat then at the end of it all surface alive and climb that stinking ladder you are

a superstar number one diver expert

Perfectly adequately trained with absolutely no requirement for any changes at all

Except for the attitudes of Super Scuba Force, those that think change is required

If someone tells standard divers there is a standard perhaps there would be one

what the heck is happening with these font things
No mention of kicking the crap out of the environment. Running down gas reserves. Taking excessive risks. Pulling themselves along. Antagonising the flora and fauna. Kicking up the silt….

Scuba diving fatalities - Wikipedia

Poor gas management is the main culprit!
The easier and simplest to deal with and does not require any training but still beyond some divers!!!
Run out of gas in car! No excuse.

Not sure that the marketeers pushing expensive AI computers and transmitters really help here. Starting with an SPG means divers have to develop the habit of getting the SPG out and reading it. This action can be seen by all, not looking at the pressure reading on their computer can’t be validated.

Stop those agencies dismantle training programs into small chunks of certification issuance sessions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom