Yellow hoses and Yellow regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A long hose and regulator can be any color- it literally doesn’t matter. Just make sure your buddy knows you donate primary.

Yellow is secondary and that is what I brief. If you want air come and get it. It will be the yellow hose on my right hand side. My primary is a full face mask. Your not getting it from there.

Glenn

And that is ok. But why does everyone need to dive like that?

Did not say they had to. I told you earlier that your setup is ok. What I have been trying to get across is the “yellow” hose is not yellow out of convenience. It is yellow so a out of air non panicked diver knows where it is. Also as I stated earlier I believe this should be a standardized lesson. In any industry we have emergency procedures. Diving is no different. We cannot use red as that color gets lost the deeper we dive, that’s why your secondary yellow hose is yellow. I also stated that at some time this was taught and has lost its importance. How about this scenario, your diving minding your own business and an unknown distressed out of air diver rips your primary without you knowing about it. Now you’ve got to get him sorted out while trying to find your secondary. Not a fun diving day. If the training was standardized to go for the yellow hose on the right hand side that scenario would be a lot easier. Now that is a reactive not proactive situation. In a proactive situation non panick mode your buddy gives the no air signal and at your option you can either give him your primary or secondary. In a controlled situation I’m giving him my yellow hose. The word primary should mean primary to you. Secondary should mean your primary has a malfunction or you buddy needs air. Again if the training was standardized this debate we are having would be a non event. All this said, it is based on the picture I posted and any rental dive shop setup. Which 95% rent out in the configuration I have shown which is RECREATIONAL.

Glenn

How about this scenario, your diving minding your own business and an unknown distressed out of air diver rips your primary without you knowing about it. Now you’ve got to get him sorted out while trying to find your secondary.
My backup reg is right under my chin. So having my primary taken is not an issue for me. My backup under my chin is handy there should I lose my reg for any other reason like it being kicked or losing it in surf. Plus I don't find putting a different reg in my mouth difficult.

Would you be happy on the yellow bit if we said:
"Yellow for the intended donation reg is a good signaling device?"
Note that I said 'donation reg', not secondary reg.

Did not say they had to. I told you earlier that your setup is ok.

I believe training should be normalized to include your secondary yellow hose to give your buddy.

It is either one or the other. I don't give my buddy my secondary, so you can't have it both ways.

What I have been trying to get across is the “yellow” hose is not yellow out of convenience. It is yellow so a out of air non panicked diver knows where it is. Also as I stated earlier I believe this should be a standardized lesson. In any industry we have emergency procedures. Diving is no different. We cannot use red as that color gets lost the deeper we dive, that’s why your secondary yellow hose is yellow. I also stated that at some time this was taught and has lost its importance.

You are assuming your emergency procedures are the same that are taught to everyone else.

How about this scenario, your diving minding your own business and an unknown distressed out of air diver rips your primary without you knowing about it. Now you’ve got to get him sorted out while trying to find your secondary. Not a fun diving day.

As I am prepared and trained for this situation, unlike someone that dives a secondary donate configuration, I just get my backup which is close to my mouth (under my chin). As a bonus, the distressed OOG diver has a long hose, so we can navigate/ascend comfortably.

If the training was standardized to go for the yellow hose on the right hand side that scenario would be a lot easier.

It is not easier, as I explained above.

Now that is a reactive not proactive situation. In a proactive situation non panick mode your buddy gives the no air signal and at your option you can either give him your primary or secondary. In a controlled situation I’m giving him my yellow hose.

In a primary donate configuration you can just donate the primary, as the secondary reg hose is too short.

The word primary should mean primary to you. Secondary should mean your primary has a malfunction or you buddy needs air.

Primary means the one I am breathing in a normal situation. Secondary is the other.

Again if the training was standardized this debate we are having would be a non event.

The agencies that follow a standardized approach, consider a primary donate configuration, not an octopus.

All this said, it is based on the picture I posted and any rental dive shop setup. Which 95% rent out in the configuration I have shown which is RECREATIONAL.

That is a configuration used on recreational dives but not the only one.

My backup reg is right under my chin. So having my primary taken is not an issue for me, it is handy there should I lose my reg for any other reason like it being kicked or losing it in surf. Plus I don't find putting a different rig in my mouth difficult.

Would you be happy on the yellow bit if we said:
"Yellow for the intended donation reg is a good signaling device?"
Note that I said 'donation reg', not secondary reg.

He dives a FFM, so he is fighting tooth and nail any configuration that does not include a secondary reg for donation.

He dives a FFM, so he is fighting tooth and nail any configuration that does not include a secondary reg for donation.
Yeah, and FFM is so so common recreationally.... <heavy sarcasm>

Ok you do you.

I was taught the primary donate as well and have disagreed with it from day one. Maybe it’s my military training, maybe not. However, primary to me means it’s my usual piece that I use kind of like a parachute. I have my main and I have a reserve. In diving the reserve is a secondary and is used when the primary fails.

I will continue to dive this way. The yellow secondary regulator is high viz for that reason.

I brief this way and will continue to do so. I personally have witnessed a proactive out of air situation and a panicked situation. Based on those experiences is why I have the opinion I do.

Wish you well on your diving, don’t see how we are going to agree when your talking about a different setup than what I and the majority of the rental fleet has. You keep talking about your long hose and necklace setup. I keep talking about what most people rent and what most people buy (like in my picture). So we are splitting hairs. I have been to a lot of dive shops and a lot of locations. I have yet to see the necklace configuration or a extremely long hose. I’m sure they are out there. But if you go rent gear and go diving on a boat your rental setup will be just like the picture I posted.

Yes I dive a full face. Why? because I can. It is on a quick disconnect and my old primary is in my zippered pocket. Along with my old mask. I still use them and alternate between the two.

Once you dive a full face you’ll understand. Until you do, you’ll have your opinion. I was once like you as well. Diving a full face is as recreational as diving a regulator. However that’s another subject and just like this one until you have dove with a full face it’s an argument/debate. You know closed minds and all and that’s the way we’ve always done it attitude.

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom