Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't quite know how this thread shifted this way, but here is a 3rd world/Cozumel health care story.

Years ago my son in his early 20s was still on our family health insurance, and he got an eye infection. He was prescribed a prescription medication, for which we paid our standard $30 co-pay. Several months later the infection returned, and we again paid the standard $30 co-pay.

Several months later we were in Cozumel together, and the infection returned. He went to the local pharmacy and bought exactly the same medication over the counter for $5.
Very simple explanation.
Because the cost of living is lower.
I routinely bought some useful over counter medicines and toiletries(not made in china) when I diving around SE Asia.

I don't quite know how this thread shifted this way, but here is a 3rd world/Cozumel health care story.

Years ago my son in his early 20s was still on our family health insurance, and he got an eye infection. He was prescribed a prescription medication, for which we paid our standard $30 co-pay. Several months later the infection returned, and we again paid the standard $30 co-pay.

Several months later we were in Cozumel together, and the infection returned. He went to the local pharmacy and bought exactly the same medication over the counter for $5.

Well when the average worker is being paid a few hundred a month, the costs are going to be lower.

I buy all my antibiotic ear drops during my twice a year Mexico trip, as the cash price is less than what my co-pay is in the US, and the Mexican version has a topical pain killer that the US version doesn't.

Back into later 80s the exchange rate between US$ and Pakistani Rupee was about 1 : 30.
And we paid a tablet of Amoxicillin(250mg) in Northern Pakistan along the Karakorum Highway for 1 Rp each.

Not too sure if it is still safe to travel on this route. Pity.

Cost of living dictates everything.

Very simple explanation.
I routinely bought some useful over counter medicines and toiletries(not made in china) when I diving around SE Asia.

You’re very naive if you believe that. Prescription drug pricing in the US is a complex issue that has nothing to do with the cost of living. US citizens essentially subsidise the price of drugs in other parts of the world. Just Google it if you have a few days to waste.

Very simple explanation.

Well when the average worker is being paid a few hundred a month, the costs are going to be lower.

I buy all my antibiotic ear drops during my twice a year Mexico trip, as the cash price is less than what my co-pay is in the US, and the Mexican version has a topical pain killer that the US version doesn't.

Back into later 80s the exchange rate between US$ and Pakistani Rupee was about 1 : 30.
And we paid a tablet of Amoxicillin(250mg) in Northern Pakistan along the Karakorum Highway for 1 Rp each.

Not too sure if it is still safe to travel on this route. Pity.

Cost of living dictates everything.

I see. So because their cost of living is lower, the drug companies charge them a tiny, tiny fraction of what I get charged in the USA. I think it is amazing that drug companies are so very, very generous and willing to absorb such losses. More amazing, though, is that people believe that.

I see. So because their cost of living is lower, the drug companies charge them a tiny, tiny fraction of what I get charged in the USA. I think it is amazing that drug companies are so very, very generous and willing to absorb such losses. More amazing, though, is that people believe that.
More a case of charging what each market will bear.

However, I think the takeaway from this thread is that if you go to Cozumel, it's likely you will have to go to the hospital.

It is really likely you'll have to go to the hospital after walking on most of the sidewalks back in town - broken toes are a huge risk - I just tripped over something today stone sobber......

More a case of charging what each market will bear.
Or whatever the insurance companies will pay, and they have no incentive to control costs.

At the risk of sounding like I want to get the last word in, a discussion on this topic, (or the cost of higher education in this country), could set a ScubaBoard record for most posts ever.

As for me, bye to this thread.

maybe for you but years ago with no insurance I needed a major surgery. So went to hospital and said what kind of discount can you do if I pay cash. They just laughed.
That's really unusual, but I'm sure it varies - especially with where.

Some studies show that paying the hospital cash rates can be cheaper than paying patient costs off an insurance program. When the Hospital Is Cheaper Without Insurance - D Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom