[TDI] What training should I do for wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, that makes sense.
Any recommendation as to whether its better to do it sidemount or backmount?

Ideally I want to keep my options open to avoid a situation where I am only competent to dive wrecks with sidemount and go to a shop where they cannot rent sidemount gear. But also don't want to be only able to do backmount dives and get to a wreck that can only be accessed with sidemount (are there any?).

Depends on the wreck. If it is turtled (upside down) or on it's keel, backmount is probably better. If it is on it's side backmount can probably still work but sidemount might be better.

In the SG, which is on it's keel, in sidemount every hatch meant I had to stop, go sideways and recover. Workable but suboptimal.

And of course sidemount off of boats is simply suboptimal.

I went round and round about this myself....I think the cave card opens up a whole new world of diving because of the need for a card to dive most places, where as the advanced wreck teaches you new skills in overhead, silt, snags and pointy things so you can safely go further. That said, there is some knowledge to be gained with instruction in wreck diving. Setting yourself up for success hot dropping a 60m deep wreck in a current takes some knowledge. Another thing, I dive cc and its my preference to setup bailouts and regs differently between the two environments. I'd do cave, then hire a good wreck instructor to teach trimix. You can pick up some extra skills in trimix class and remember them.
Thanks.
What's hot dropping?
Isn't it more interesting to do trimix first, and then do my cave/wreck training so I can go deeper (than my current 45m limit) to get more experience?

SM with deco bottles can be challenging. Going from SM to BM doubles would be easier than the other way around.
Thanks, I thought so too :)
But agree with Capt Jim Wyatt, getting off a boat with 4 tanks in SM... tricky! Even on a shore dive I struggled!

What's hot dropping?

You don't anchor to the wreck, the dive boat positions up current to the wreck, and you all jump off the boat like paratroopers invading Normandy (though hopefully more on target and with a lower death rate), letting the current drift you to the wreck/reef.

Once done you blow a bag, and do your deco while drifting, with the boat picking you up once finished.

Isn't it more interesting to do trimix first, and then do my cave/wreck training so I can go deeper (than my current 45m limit) to get more experience?

Most cave diving is at nitrox depths. Trimix cave diving is only for very experienced cave divers.

Once done you blow a bag, and do your deco while drifting, with the boat picking you up once finished.

I have picked up divers as far a 2 miles away from the dive site due to long deco times and drifting in the Gulfstream during their stops. That is the most scary part of a hot drop.

I have picked up divers as far a 2 miles away from the dive site due to long deco times and drifting in the Gulfstream during their stops. That is the most scary part of a hot drop.

I did over a mile in Jupiter just on a recreational profile. It is easy to pull a Linda Ronstadt and Blue Bayou.

You have to trust the boat crew.

Thanks.
What's hot dropping?

Hot dropping is just an attempted dead reckoning free descent to hit a wreck (no downline), boat diving. If you dive where there is alot of current you'll save gas/less effort vs. pulling yourself down a line. I think its a standard that full cave training is done at less than 130ft, adding trimix and stages is another course. I imagine wreck would be the same. Plus there really isn't a need for depth/wasting expensive trimix practicing running reels, sharing gas, black out drills. You can do overhead training shallow and spend more time in the water.

Wow, hot dropping sounds sketchy AF, I've always used a line for the wrecks I did.
Got it for depth, makes sense!

I'm still confused by what is "legally" allowed by the Trimix certifications though:

Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures = Can go to 45m but only with nitrox, no helium
Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures + Extended range = Can go to 55m but only with nitrox, no helium
Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures + Trimix = Can go to 45m with nitrox OR up to 60m but only with with helium ? (i.e. 50-55m on Nitrox not allowed?)

On a nice day with good viz not much current nothing better than skydiving onto a wreck. On normal days take the scooter, take a bearing on my compass, drop and head straight for sand and drift into the wreck. I just dive South Florida as I'm very land locked and have too much crap to fly with these days and there is so much to dive there, its pretty standard practice on the tech trips in that region. Other regions I'm sure are very different.

Oops some literally just said all that

Hot dropping is just an attempted dead reckoning free descent to hit a wreck (no downline),

I seem to recall a dive where you missed the Okinawa in only 70' of water. Oh wait, I missed it too. Let's just say the drop was not a good one! :rofl3:

Wow, hot dropping sounds sketchy AF, I've always used a line for the wrecks I did.
Got it for depth, makes sense!

I'm still confused by what is "legally" allowed by the Trimix certifications though:

Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures = Can go to 45m but only with nitrox, no helium
Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures + Extended range = Can go to 55m but only with nitrox, no helium
Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures + Trimix = Can go to 45m with nitrox OR up to 60m but only with with helium ? (i.e. 50-55m on Nitrox not allowed?)

You're missing one option.

AN/Helitrox - good to 150ft/45m and helium up to 35%.

Deco Procedures is covered under the Helitrox portion. You have to do the DP bookwork, but you don't get the DP card. Well, some instructors issue it, but the standards are AN/Helitrox cards.

Helitrox standards at link
https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/TDI/part 2/pdf/individual/TDI Diver Standards_10_Helitrox_Diver.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom