Scubaquarium: Chicago area INDOOR REEF DIVING!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon8118

Contributor
Reaction score
Chicago area INDOOR REEF DIVING!!! I was wondering if it would really take off, or is it an insane venture by some local divers. Comments please! I was also taking into account with the amount of marine creatures needed; will this be feasible? I would hate to see all these animals die unnecessarily if they could not be supported. Sounds a little over the top to me…Comments…

Link to “Scubaquarium”:

http://www.scubaquarium.com/index.php

looks interesting. i would pay to dive it. once!

Ummm.......yeah..........wow.

I'm thinking someone's gonna lose their a$$ on this one. I'm not sure of the exact cost, but I'm guessing a major aquarium is spending beaucoup bucks to support themselves, and they have a lot more daily traffic. Admittedly this group isn't paying the overhead for public viewing, but I don't see that as a high item on the budget. Still, I don't see it going that far. More power to them for trying though. I'm always rooting for Don Quixote. :dazzler1: Hope they prove me wrong.

Sounds ambitious to me.... good luck to them.... if it flies I might be willing to dive it once... I think their educational and snorkeling might be a better bet than the dives.. but who knows.... I think scout troops and what not might really dig it.

Disney does this already at Epcot in Florida. It is a cool thing to do once in a blue moon.

Poseidon8118:
Chicago area INDOOR REEF DIVING!!! I was wondering if it would really take off, or is it an insane venture by some local divers. Comments please! I was also taking into account with the amount of marine creatures needed; will this be feasible? I would hate to see all these animals die unnecessarily if they could not be supported. Sounds a little over the top to me…Comments…

Link to “Scubaquarium”:

http://www.scubaquarium.com/index.php

I think it's a great idea. I think you would be able to pull in schools for classroom education and family recreational purposes with great success if you had a means for kids/others to communicate with the divers. Did your business plan include opening a full service dive shop? I did not notice that in my quick scan. I think that would be a great value add to the company.

I dove in the New England Aquarium G.O.T. (200,000G tank, 23' deep) and it was a fantastic experience. Kids were fascinated with the divers, waving to them, etc. I'm sure they would LOVE to be able to speak to them to ask questions for a full interative experience like that. You could possibly create a larger dive community just with your tank. What size tank are you looking at? What depth?

If you have the resources to make a huge tank with tons of interesting animals I think you would have foot traffic success. I know nothing about the costs associated with operating/maintaining a huge tank and the food for the animals, medical care, etc., etc., etc.

Good luck.

--Matt

I would dive it if in the area.

Sounds very similar to "Dive Dome" (http://www.divedome.com/)

Which could be just a lot of hot air. Vague business plan, technology not mature and the endorsements are false.

I hope they are able to pull it off. There is a place in the UK trying to do the same thing: www.divedome.com

Like was said earlier in the thread, Disney already does this, and I've had the pleasure of diving it twice in one week. At over $100 a dive, it hardly seems practical (or cost efficient to operate), but then again, Disney has deeper pockets than Ross Perot, so I guess they can get away with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom