The PADI Wheel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the late 90s I knew people who took it on trips as a backup in case their dive computer died.

I was on a LoB in GBR(1996) and did not have a computer.
The diving supervisor declared that any diver who did not have a dc would be limited to 18m! Unless the diver could show him the pre-dive plan by using the "Wheel"!!! No problem for me.
Bought my first dc when I returned home.

How many of you still remember this piece of device(obsolete) to plan your multi-level dive before dc became common?

The PADI Wheel — Dive Instructor Academy

:happywave: Certified as a (poor) college student in 1988. No way a PDC was going to be in my budget constraints. Certified YMCA (learned on US Navy Tables), but purchased a PADI Wheel as my first waterproof tables (only had the paper ones in the back of the New Science textbook) and learned to use them on my own.

I've never seen anyone else using one in all these years. I still use it for quick checks. I purchased my first PDC in 1994 or thereabouts once I had a real job.

I have two of them, both provide the same answers, and both are okay per the "dot calibration".

I've still got one and will pull it out now and then to practice with. I also show it to students. One of the problems with the wheel was the dots on one would not line up with the dots on another. So you'd get some minor differences unless you "calibrated" it.

Saw one for the first time on a dive boat in Maui; the DM used it between dives.
Now I own two, both calibrated, and they often give the same result.

How many of you still remember this piece of device(obsolete) to plan your multi-level dive before dc became common?
I not only remember it, I still have two of them.

I still have one. I had to learn it for my Divemaster certification.

Seems I had a few but that dive box is missing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom