Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure of your point here, so I will just rephrase mine, hopefully with more clarity. There is no mention that I can find anywhere in the complaint that Linnea did any of the academic preparation for the class

Sorry, and I don't mean to disagree really. The point was that if the learning activities were completed, and the diver signed off, what reason would the Plaintiffs have to mention that? It would only show that that the diver would have been made aware of the dangers of diving without the inflator hose, suit squeeze, etc., and chose to do the dive anyway. If the e-Learning or book learning happened, and the diver acknowledged completion, I would expect the defense to bring it up.

Also, was there any mention in the complaint that the diver paid for the class? The complaint states that the diver enrolled, but I didn't see mention of payment.

Anyway, I would guess that lawyers for both sides are far, far ahead of us in the analysis.

If they had provided the dry suit inflator hose needed for safe operation with the suit they probably wouldn’t be here. They do not appear to be principally at fault, but they appear to have helped set the stage.

If they did and the victim failed to bring it then they are in a lot better position.

The Complaint alleges that Potter did not provide a hose for Linnea’s drysuit.

The equipment that Snow had in her vehicle and offered uncertified Shannon to use, however, included a drysuit and reg set with an appropriately fitted regular.

177. As the students prepared to enter the water for their training, Snow repeatedly asked Shannon if she wanted to use the extra scuba diving equipment in Snow’s vehicle to go scuba diving, even though Shannon is not a certified scuba diver and had no prior experience scuba diving.

178. This extra diving equipment included at least one dry suit, and an appropriately fitted hose connected to a regulator.

The Complaint alleges that Potter did not provide a hose for Linnea’s drysuit.

The equipment that Snow had in her vehicle and offered uncertified Shannon to use, however, included a drysuit and reg set with an appropriately fitted regular.

177. As the students prepared to enter the water for their training, Snow repeatedly asked Shannon if she wanted to use the extra scuba diving equipment in Snow’s vehicle to go scuba diving, even though Shannon is not a certified scuba diver and had no prior experience scuba diving.

178. This extra diving equipment included at least one dry suit, and an appropriately fitted hose connected to a regulator.

Snow’s offer of the gear to an uncertified diver doesn’t do her any favors.

Diving can kill you. I don't know what else to say to people who would skip completing the written materials, if that was a contributor to this sad event.

Personally, I was meticulous about every chapter, taking all of the review tests and scoring myself before moving on to the next chapter. My private instructor reviewed my tests prior to entering the water.

This entire situation seems like one huge and unfortunate cluster$#&@ as we used to say in the Navy.

with an appropriately fitted regular.
Earlier in this thread it was said that her drysuit used an unusual fitting, so a standard inflator hose would not work. As I noted earlier, the complaint says the drysuit had a Si-tech inflator, which uses a standard fitting. The Brooks website currently said they are NOW offering poseidon inflators as an option; otherwise you get Si-Tech.

Snow’s offer of the gear to an uncertified diver doesn’t do her any favors.

No it doesn't, and we've gone over that previously.

The poster I responded to wondered if Linnea was provided a hose and forgot to bring it and also surmised that if they had provided a hose, we wouldn't be here. In fact, she was not provided one, but it may have been as easy as getting it from the vehicle.

The point is that there may have been a compatible reg/hose set sitting in Snow’s vehicle.

Earlier in this thread it was said that her drysuit used an unusual fitting, so a standard inflator hose would not work. As I noted earlier, the complaint says the drysuit had a Si-tech inflator, which uses a standard fitting. The Brooks website currently said they are NOW offering poseidon inflators as an option; otherwise you get Si-Tech.

Prior to you reiterating that earlier in the thread, @shoredivr had already given that information with photos of the 3 relevant fittings.

You quoted part of #178 of the Complaint in my post. That item # is alleging that there was compatible equipment available in Snow's vehicle.

Every time I go back and reread a section of this complaint, my confusion grows. I feel it has to be intentional.

Every time I go back and reread a section of this complaint, my confusion grows. I feel it has to be intentional.

Read paragraph 83 of the Complaint: "Consequently, before a diver is permitted to use a dry suit instead of a wetsuit, the diver must successfully complete special training to learn the features of a dry suit, including how the dry suit functions and how to use the dry suit safely in cold conditions, with unfamiliar buoyancy characteristics, to prevent squeeze on descent and an uncontrolled, rapid ascent from depth."

Permitted by who? I took the drysuit class, but certainly divers have bought drysuits and used them without taking the class or "special training."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom