Shearwater Perdix Battery Died Twice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have to pay closer attention when I next change the battery. I had a Predator for years that definitely cleared tissues on a battery change. Maybe I just got use to expecting that...

Yes your right I remember the Predator would clear your tissue during battery change also. I use to think the same thing till someone showed me on the newer computers it works fine. Key is you just have to change the battery while the old one still has some life in it. If it has been sitting dead for a while then yes the tissue will clear.

Actually, the Perdix gives you the option to clear tissues on battery change but I don't know why you would ever do that. If you choose not to clear it will not clear.

It is the second screen that comes up. The first screen is the battery type selection.

Make sure you've got the right battery type selected after the change as it restarts.

If you use an alkaline battery, but the computer sets itself to lithium it will behave exactly as you describe.

Actually, the Perdix gives you the option to clear tissues on battery change but I don't know why you would ever do that. If you choose not to clear it will not clear.

It is the second screen that comes up. The first screen is the battery type selection.

The manual suggests resetting if you left battery out or dead for an extended time. Naturally it can't track without power.

Now the interesting thing I learned by rereading the manual is they suggest replacing battery while device is on because tissues update 16s on and 300s off so you likely loose less if it was on. I never did that but I will.

BTW my choice of alkaline is two fold: readily available everywhere, gradual voltage gradient on discharge gives plenty of warning (except I started this thread because that didn't happen for the first time last week).

I had this happen once on my primary Petrel 2 for my rebreather (not a big issue but just means you have to abort dive a fly off the HUD, just annoying since you have to end the dive early). Went from just a little blue left to yellow, red, then dead. After this I switched to rechargeable 14500 lithium 3.7v batteries, when they get to about half I just put a fresh charged one in. Never had a dead battery in several years since then.

Plus you never have to play the game where you convince yourself ah I can get another dive out of this battery because you want to get your money's worth out of the expensive Energizer of SAFT. I free and easy to change out a half used rechargeable and you always have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you have a fresh fully charged battery.
I tried to mention Sheck Exley's 'What if' principles but was voted down by most of the clairvoyants' on this site, regarding AI transmitters.

The rechargeables are not great for dive trips as they may not last 20+ dives. Switching resets tissue data and I don't want that for repetitive dive days. So I mostly use the Energizer Lithium cells, and occasionally use a Lithium rechargeable for weekend diving.
Switching does not reset the tissues unless you tell it to clear tissues, or perhaps take a real long time switching.

BTW my choice of alkaline is two fold: readily available everywhere, gradual voltage gradient on discharge gives plenty of warning (except I started this thread because that didn't happen for the first time last week).
I skipped the alkaline because I’ve had a few leak in other devices, and just don’t trust them.

I instead used the 3.7V Lithium rechargeables. I got a 4 pack, so I’ll always have a few ready to go. Keep one with me on day trips, and bring all 4 for vacation. The Perdix Fuel Gauge battery meter works with them, so it’s easy to see the state of charge.

Make sure you've got the right battery type selected after the change as it restarts.

If you use an alkaline battery, but the computer sets itself to lithium it will behave exactly as you describe.
This looks like a very plausible reason for it to happen twice in a very short time

I have had great success using the SAFT battery. The exact battery called out in the manual can be bought through batteries plus. A little pricey but they last.

Good luck

Glenn

I had a Shearwater Pursuit that had the same issue. It was due to a defective depth sensor.

Back
Top Bottom