A NEW SPECIALTY - LETS DISCUSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends upon the experience and skills of the instructor.

PADI would struggle to find competent tech divers in their pool of recreational instructors / pros who are more used to teaching 1st grade courses to novices based upon pile it high, sell it cheap principles.

One hell of a difference between recreational diving and technical diving, not least the demands on the core skills which aren't fully appreciated by the recreational community. There's a reason why you slowly progress deeper/longer/more complex. Decompression diving relies upon the simple ability to hold a stop, something a lot of recreational divers struggle with in open water with no line to hang on.

At least SDI/TDI separated technical diving from recreational diving (although strange that solo's not tec)
Good point. His is a prime example.
A Course Director told me how he was making divers do several out-of-air simulations in the water column. I pointed out that the manual states only one is necessary and the remaining out-of-air simulations are to be conducted on the surface. Why risk an embolism? Arrogant instructors never read their manuals, nor do they have any common sense. You can’t buy dive experience.

I saw that on their website. I figured with prerequisites, you're already an expedition diver. Training agencies are playing to those seeking c-card status.
With min of 100 trimix dives!
Highly unlikely.
A lot of money just to pay for two persons helium bill.

Totally agree. Anyone who has an idea of what scuba divers want knows that:
- if you want to sell gear, you need to have plenty of orange juice in your stock;
- if you want to sell courses, you don't need a pool, but a jacuzzi
- dive training and gear shops should be under the same roof, together with restaurants, cinemas and libraries

Well done! :cool:

as much as i appreciate all the activity in this thread, can we pls get back to the original topic. thx.

as much as i appreciate all the activity in this thread, can we pls get back to the original topic. thx.

What's the procedure/requirements for becoming an instructor for this course. I'm hoping that there isn't a route to self-certify...

What's the procedure/requirements for becoming an instructor for this course. I'm hoping that there isn't a route to self-certify...

BELOW IS FROM THE SSI STANDARDS:

"Decompression Diving Instructor
I. Intent
There are two ways to become certified to teach the Decompression Diving program:
• Specialty Instructor Seminar
• Co-Teaching"

as far as i am aware there is no way to "self certify" for any ssi instrutor ratings. you can apply to ssi for many instructor ratings though.

i also believe that right now ssi is offering certain instructors a free upgrade to teach this course. XR instructors would be among those allowed to do this.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread will now get back on topic. Off topic posts from here on will be deleted. Take other discussions to a new thread. Thanks

I've been through the PADI Tec sequence, and I've been through the TDI sequence.
The main difference is the instructor. The difference between 90m and 100m for training is insignificant.

I feel like this should be the common thread, it's down to the instructor. Sadly, we can put whatever regulations in place, it comes down to the instructor. And so too does it come down to the student. I feel like people may abuse this, as they already do now, and decide to not sling a stage, and just deco on back gas. So do your best, but they may still not listen. Although maybe the hope here is to curb those people already doing that and provide more knowledge? In that case it could be beneficial. Entry to tech should not be limited by you not wanting to commit yet, I get it, and agree, as it is a massive commitment. But then there is gear to hire. Why supply less....if this course is supplying less, I am not sure yet :) I feel like there are more details needed.

I feel like this course sounds like it does not really suffice IMO in terms of minimums. I personally feel like at least having redundancy should be kept. i.e. the stage/deco bottle, should either be that or the redundancy for the back gas. How does it function as both to a novice/entry level techy? Surely at least an H valve, and thus two regs on the back gas would be better? I could of miss read it, but they also mentioned accelerated deco?...hmmm. Much of a muchness depending on how you see it.

I'm not saying this can't be done...just saying IMO I would want more redundancy. Just my 2c :) Interesting none the less!!

I was recently prompted to take a look at the SSI website after reading a recent thread Verifying dives

I had forgotten about this thread. Has anyone taken the Decompression Diving course? I would be interested in hearing about it.

The Deco Diving course is in the Scuba Diving progression and can be taken in single back mount with a deco cylinder, max nitrox 40%. Minium age is 16. Learn to safely perform a decompression dive with SSI Decompression Diving certification today

The Extended Range Nitrox course is in the XR progression and requires twin back mount or sidemount with a max nitrox of 50%. The minimum age is 18. Take your Nitrox Diving Deeper for Longer - Become an SSI Extended Range Nitrox Diver Today!

I was recently prompted to take a look at the SSI website after reading a recent thread Verifying dives

I had forgotten about this thread. Has anyone taken the Decompression Diving course? I would be interested in hearing about it.

The Deco Diving course is in the Scuba Diving progression and can be taken in single back mount with a deco cylinder, max nitrox 40%. Minium age is 16. Learn to safely perform a decompression dive with SSI Decompression Diving certification today

The Extended Range Nitrox course is in the XR progression and requires twin back mount or sidemount with a max nitrox of 50%. The minimum age is 18. Take your Nitrox Diving Deeper for Longer - Become an SSI Extended Range Nitrox Diver Today!
My wife and I just completed this course. We were the first to take the class on Guam. There are several wrecks and deeper sites here on Guam that are pretty deep giving you very minimal bottom time even with EANx28 so we wanted to extend our dives without making the massive investment into the tech world. The course required us to carry a 40cuft deco bottle with 40% nitrox and a slate to write down our planned dive parameters.

Overall the course was exactly what I wanted. We learned how to set up a stage bottle, how to do min gas calculations in both imperial and metric, how to do gas switches on our computers, how to don/doff the deco bottle in the water.

With this certification you are only allowed to accumulate up to 15 minutes of deco obligation and you have to plan all dives to be able to complete everything using only your back gas. The thought of 60 minute deco stops does not interest me at all so I thought this course would be a good way to improve my recreational diving without too much investment.

Back
Top Bottom