Just finished OW training looking at advanced OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it's a take it or leave it proposal. Some people can handle their liquor others can't.

I'm sorry to hear that you have trouble handling your liquor but I've also been given to understand that admitting it to yourself (and now others) is the first step to a healthy life of sobriety.

I had done only 11 dives i total and 3 after my OW when I did SSI deep diver (40m) and nitrox. If your buoyancy is good and you are comfortable at depth go for it.

What kind of minimum entry requirements are there?
Nothing too extreme but a:
1. minimum of 10 dives after open water independent of an instructor or class.
2. Able to do all basic skills - mask R&R, weight system R&R, reg recovery neutral and horizontal while swimming and stationary. With no more than 2ft change in buoyancy. By the end of the class we'll get that down to 1 foot.
3. Able to use non silting kicks (modified frog and flutter kick). We'll work on back kicks and helicopter turns.
4. Preferred to have some rescue skills. Rescue class or workshop ok.
5. Does not need assistance performing basic weight check and distributing said weight. This will get fine tuned as well but I shouldn't have to start at the beginning.

The class introduces new skills and knowledge. It's not a rehash of OW. It's not to remediate OW skills. It's why I do an eval session first. If any skills do need to be remediated we do that before the AOW class so as not to detract from it.
If it's something simple that can be addressed in a single pool session of an hour or so, I do that no charge. If it needs more than that, I'll create a workshop at reasonable cost and assign "homework" to be completed. Once that's done we'll jump in the pool or go for a local dive to confirm and then the AOW class can take place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom