Heretical thoughts on the diver's medical form

AFTER reading the OP please vote your feelings.

• The current medical form(s) are fine AND I am scrupulously honest on them.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I am likely to be more honest / complete with a form such as suggested.

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • I am unlikely to change any answer regardless of how the form is constructed.

Votes: 36 49.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see the “updated” form is still outdated. If needed there is no place for my PCP, a nurse practitioner, to sign the form. I haven’t had a medical doctor as my medical provider for more than 40 years.
I called PADI about this question. The fundamental problem seems to be that the form is international and nurse practitioner is not as universally recognized as physician.

I called PADI about this question. The fundamental problem seems to be that the form is international and nurse practitioner is not as universally recognized as physician.

Curious: Which countries DO recognise a NP as a physician?

I know some international operators require a medical form outside of training. Who has needed a medical form, other than for training, and where was it?

To my recollection, I've had to sign one for every liveaboard and perhaps even some resorts in SE Asia locales.

I just got off a LOB that had a medical emergency the first day of diving. Chest pain. I deal with various forms of chest pain at work (Urgent Care) almost daily. ACLS and PALS certified. They accepted the assistance from the Italian Dermatologist.

I just got off a LOB that had a medical emergency the first day of diving. Chest pain. I deal with various forms of chest pain at work (Urgent Care) almost daily. ACLS and PALS certified. They accepted the assistance from the Italian Dermatologist.

Not surprised.

DOs working outside the US face the same issue.

You may want to query DAN or UHMS about how to handle this. The logos on the new 2020 Diver Medical are from DAN, RSTC, WRSTC, and UHMS. At Recreational Diving Medical Screening System - Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society there is a way to submit comments for consideration for the next revision.

I note that @Dr Simon Mitchell was on the committee that drew up this new form, perhaps he has a comment on how only MDs can sign it.

Thank you, great suggestion. If it looks like divers would be more honest with such a form I will then submit the idea to the alphabet soups above.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

and neither accepted any assistance from you either?

How did the rest of the patient's week go?

I really didn’t mind (too much) since I doubted there was anything more available for care beyond an ACD plus I am sure they had DAN on call. And not sure about medical liability. Will have to check on that.

We did miss almost a day of diving.

He was airlifted from Socorro Island. No update beyond he seemed ok. Stable on board. Don’t know if it was actually his heart or precautionary.

Plane on runway...ok now headed back to gate...

Back
Top Bottom