XDeep NX Zen Standard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeXx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello fellow divers.
Any thoughts in the bp/wing/harness set mentioned above?
The good the bad and the in between.
I'm considering buying it and would like a heads up on quality and functionality.

Is it really worth going for the deluxe with extra padding or is it just gimmicks?

I'm open to other wings for consideration.
Preference in european brands as I am european.

Cheers.

The BP/W is great underwater. Quality is great. Function is great unless your a GUE diver with specific BP requirements. I don't think the deluxe is worth it. However it may be protective for your drysuit or may be more comfortable if your in a rashguard. They are much cheaper ways to put pads on the arm webbing though. If your in a rashguard, I'd consider a Ghost.

From my previous post, see below.

I have the SS bp. I like it. About 6 lbs heavy.

Cons: The bp is a little wide compared to typical backplate so on a crammed boat it's a little tight but still manageable. The kidney dump valve string is very long, you need to shorten it. The wing is a bit big 40#. Out of the water, I'm always scared of sitting my tank on top of the bladder. The bp doesnt have standard holes along the top for attachments, but does have it along the bottom.

Pros: Comfortable, I got the standard. I think the deluxe is a waste. Trims out well. On the surface I feel like I'm very high off the water.

I swap the wing nuts with delrin hand nuts from dgx.

I know I mainly listed cons, but I tend to focus on cons with everything. I would recommend especially if you want custom color, logo, embroidery. I think the only real con is how big the wing is, but that's only a problem on land.

The BP/W is great underwater. Quality is great. Function is great unless your a GUE diver with specific BP requirements. I don't think the deluxe is worth it. However it may be protective for your drysuit or may be more comfortable if your in a rashguard. They are much cheaper ways to put pads on the arm webbing though. If your in a rashguard, I'd consider a Ghost.

From my previous post, see below.

I have the SS bp. I like it. About 6 lbs heavy.

Cons: The bp is a little wide compared to typical backplate so on a crammed boat it's a little tight but still manageable. The kidney dump valve string is very long, you need to shorten it. The wing is a bit big 40#. Out of the water, I'm always scared of sitting my tank on top of the bladder. The bp doesnt have standard holes along the top for attachments, but does have it along the bottom.

Pros: Comfortable, I got the standard. I think the deluxe is a waste. Trims out well. On the surface I feel like I'm very high off the water.

I swap the wing nuts with delrin hand nuts from dgx.

I know I mainly listed cons, but I tend to focus on cons with everything. I would recommend especially if you want custom color, logo, embroidery. I think the only real con is how big the wing is, but that's only a problem on land.

Thank you very much for your input.
I'm buying it this month, however I have a question.
I intend to buy two large weight pockets (6Kg) to use only 3Kg in each.
Will this ,work ok or the weights are going to be very loose in the pockets?
I Tought better to have them looser and able to add more in the future than to order the medium size ones and be limited to 3Kg each.

I also plan on buying two trim pockets of 1.5Kg each, but the trim pockets they recommend for single tank are those in the first picture (see attached).
The ones in the second picture are for SM but can be put in the webbing directly.

I wonder if i should go with the first or second option. The later seems to allow me more flexibility as to where to put them.
I'm also not sure if they would fit in the tank straps.

Cheers

Attachments

• singletank.jpg
    singletank.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 174
  • sidemount.jpg
    sidemount.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 180
I just dove my new Zen Standard Steel for the first time this weekend. Loved it.

I also put my newly certified stepdaughter in one and she had no issues with the one piece harness. I'm glad we didn't bother with the deluxe.

Weight pockets will depend on what weight you've needed in the past for your suit but the 6kg mediums are pretty big... more than enough for use with my drysuit (I use an HP100 though).

I think your concern is warranted about the sidemount trim pockets... not enough room on the cam band. If you wanted to put the backmount ones somewhere else you could always add a pair of triglides as a stop.

I have a deluxe with 2 large trim pockets. They are very large but they do fit on the cam bands, when they are set up for AL80/63 or larger diameter tanks.

Order placed and payed for.
Now just waiting for the factory to make them. Delays.... :(

So my wing arrived and I can't wait to try it out next month as I'm visiting the Azores!

I don't own a cylinder so i can't really test my cam bands with the trim pockets.
Any input on this?

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210714_204750.jpg
    20210714_204750.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 20210714_204620.jpg
    20210714_204620.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210714_204642.jpg
    20210714_204642.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 185
Do they cut all the metal out of the plate because people like to carry lead instead
The weight of this backplate is actually slightly higher than a standard size SS.
Their argument is that they can more evenly distribute the weight on our back with a larger BP. I'd agree but also for the looks :)

Do they cut all the metal out of the plate because people like to carry lead instead
AFAIK, the weight of the NX plate is the same as regulat plates. Since it's a lot bigger, they cut it so it weighs the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom