Who do I go pro with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve been talking to a lot of die professionals recently I’ve been diving for 23 years and now I want to become a professional I’m only advanced open water but who in the long run is the best agency to go with I’m in South Florida so there’s a lot of competition what I’m looking for is a true review on who has the best prices in the long run for a business I’m strictly looking this from a business standpoint on how I can produce the most revenue as an instructori

AQUI WaterSports (Fort Lauderdale) is a great technical dive shop.... but that's a little more advanced.... from what I've seen the dive industry in South Florida and I think you'd have a better chance going down the Commercial lane (s&r, salvage, welding, etc.) IF you plan to seek a life long career in this industry. Agency is a personal preference I'm a sdi/tdi guy but there are plenty of padi's down here.
<TG>
:smalllogo:

Instructors change agencies as needed. You might get to the skill set, leading, and teaching experience you need for Instructor and then evaluate which agency is best for you at that time. So start with what agency you can learn with where you are, then reevaluate your agency later as needed. But I'm not pro, I just trained as a DM.

It might depend on how you envision being a pro. Do you want to work in a shop, be independent, teach rec classes, teach tech classes, run a shop, run trips?

Being in Palm Beach county the 2 main agencies would be SDI/TDI and PADI if you are staying in this area. SSI requires that you be affiliated with a dive shop and the other agencies really have a small footprint compared to SDI/TDI and PADI. If you plan on going outside the U.S. to work I would recommend PADI as they have the biggest footprint of all of the agencies. PADI will be more expensive every year to renew and SDI/TDI has the advantage of their headquarters being in Stuart. I personally am looking at crossing over to SDI/TDI in the future.

Interesting so many jumping from padi any one hace am actual break down of what each agency charges. I’m looking at three currently SDI, Padi, Naui. - educators is just to small -

The difference is not only what it costs to become an instructor. It’s also reflected in how much the certifying agency charges you after you become an instructor.

One business reality is that PADI has almost 2/3 of the market. If you aren’t PADI, you can expect to have a lot of discussions with prospects about how all the agencies work from the same international curriculum. That’s a tedious conversation to have over and over again when you’d rather be getting your prospects nodding their heads about how much fun they’ll have as divers.

Another business reality is that PADI charges instructors/facilities a lot more for course codes and other processing services, enough more that it makes a difference on whether you can offer a competitive price.

My solution was to cross over to TDI/SDI while keeping active teaching status with PADI. With this arrangement, I can teach PADI classes as a contractor for a local PADI shop, and I can offer either PADI or SDI when teaching independently. If someone really wants PADI, I can do that. But if they want a class that meets the standards of both agencies and costs less, I can give them a better price with SDI.

Rainbow Reef in Key Largo.

I am not sure I understand your goals. Are you looking for full time employment as a professional? Do you want that to be your primary source of income, or are you looking for part time money?

If you want to work full time, I would suggest that you aim for working for a successful dive operation and not as an independent business (unless you have access to enough investment capital to start your own business). By working for an established company, you can fill many roles as your skills and experience grow. You can be a DM for dives, instruct as needed, work the retail floor, clean the boats--whatever needs to be done. As you stay with the company, your skills and value grow. You could be adding skipper to your list of activities. Some companies will hire you in a minor role and then help you with the training as your role grows.

If you do that, you don't need to worry about business costs. The only costs that would impact you would be agency renewal and insurance costs, and the differences are not enough to make that the primary reason to choose one above the other. A number of years ago the Instructor forum on ScubaBoard had a thread in which a new instructor expressed his frustration because no one would hire him. How could he gain experience without working? It turns out he had chosen to be certified by an agency that would best be described as on the fringe. None of the shops in his area worked with that agency, so how could be seriously expect to be hired?

If you are instead looking to make part-time money as an instructor, you have more choices. South Florida is a good location for that because it is possible in many areas to be independent and do well. As was mentioned above, that means selecting an agency that allows you to work independently. If you do a good job for a while, it is possible to do enough business to make it your primary income.

I’ve been talking to a lot of die professionals recently I’ve been diving for 23 years and now I want to become a professional I’m only advanced open water but who in the long run is the best agency to go with I’m in South Florida so there’s a lot of competition what I’m looking for is a true review on who has the best prices in the long run for a business I’m strictly looking this from a business standpoint on how I can produce the most revenue as an instructori

Go pro with a shop you want to work for. If you go pro with one shop and want to work for another, you'll likely be asked to work a free internship.

Ask who pays your insurance. Some want you to insure yourself for $700/yr, some ask you to buy into shop insurance, and some provide insurance free if you teach enough.

Ask what gear your expected to wear. Pretty much all shops wants you to wear gear they sell. My first shop expected me to pay retail to buy from them. Most other shops sell it to me for close to their cost. Some shops let you wear anything they sell. Some shops are very specific, such as all males wear this and all female wear that like wear I work now.

I'm currently a PADI, SDI/TDI, and SSI instructor. I really didn't care for having to buy PADI manuals, Over the years I bought up to 4 different paper and 2 electronic versions of same manual, every single version I had to buy. SDI/TDI and SSI provide manuals free for specialties you can teach. Of the 3 agencies I really liked SDI/TDI where I can go direct to them with any questions or issues. SSI everything gets relayed and translated through the shop.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom