A real sap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday under the dock, I had one of those "Woo-hoo" moments. At the time, I didn't recognize it as any opisthobranch that we're familiar with and neither did Phil. Dave Behrens kindly ID'd it as Stiliger fuscovittatus, the brown-streaked sapsucker. This is my first sacoglossid and Phil was just a tiny bit green.

In extremely low vis, it was barely visible on its food source, the filamentous red algae, Polysiphonia. The vast majority of sacoglossans feed on marine algae (hence the name "sap sucker"). Because they need to puncture the algal cell wall in order to suck out the contents, they have a different radular arrangement than that of nudibranchs. Their single row of radulae are connected in a chain-like fashion, revolving into use, while worn radular teeth are discarded into a sack in the alimentary canal. (Taken from Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs, 2005, D. Behrens and A. Hermosillo).

DSC_4641-L.jpg

DSC_4620-L.jpg

DSC_4634-L.jpg

I've never seen one of those before. In real life, do the white/blue specs sparkle like in the photos?

That's a good question. It was so small (4mm) and it was so dark under there that I couldn't really see it. Just crossed my fingers and hoped that the camera would capture it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom