June 2021 Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6/29-7/6, with the wife and squids, El Cantil, 3P.
First time since mid to late 90s for wife and I, first time for our three "kids" (19, 17, 17). All five dive.

Jay & Cheryl (jbjclj).......................5/8-6/19.................Villa Las Anclas..............Tres Pelicanos
SunnySpotCpl...............................5/21-6/13..............Rental House.................ScubaTony
FishWatcher747...........................5/25-6/05..............El Cetro AirBnB..............Tres Pelecanos
horn34 + 3....................................5/25-6/14............."My House".....................Dive with Cristina
Pillpusher......................................5/28-6/5................Palmar VRBO.................Salty Endeavors
ScubaBird +1................................5/30-6/13..............AirBnB in Town..............Aldora
mchiapetto & Wife.......................5/31-6/9...............Casa Mexicana...............Tres Pelicanos
Judydivescoz.................................6/1-6/30..............."our house"....................Liquid Blue
Scuba_88 +1..................................6/5-6/24.............."Our Rental House........ Aldora & Dive with Cristina
Andyhi, spouse & Daughter........6/6-6/18................Palmar Condo...............Blue Project
noj3333.........................................6/8-6/17................Hotel Plaza Cozumel....Tres Pelicanos
neehooya......................................6/8-6/17................Condo/Corpus...............Tres Pelicannos
Scubagolf+diving spouse............6/10-6/20..............Scuba Club.....................Scuba Club
KristenK, Matt, Jackson, Paityn...6/12-6/21.............Occidental.......................Pro Divers
cvchief & Stick Susantia..............6/16-6-25..............Casa De Jefe...................Rodeo de Launches Mexicanas
Gamechanger+nondiving Mrs...6/18-6/28..............Residencia Reef.............Living Underwater
jbark..............................................6/19-6/22..............Casa Mexicana..............Tres Pelicanos
Logos and Wife............................6/23-6/30..............Villa Aldora.....................Aldora
captnpat & Melissa.....................6/27-7/3................Occidental......................ScubaWithAlison
amoses+nondiving spouse........6/27-7/04..............Casa Mexicana..............Tres Pelicanos
Ray and Pam................................6/29-7/06..............Hotel Cozumel...............Papa Hogs
arew+4 (wife & 3 children).........6/29-7/06..............El Cantil..........................Tres Pelicanos

jocamero+gf.................................5/30-6/6.................Allegro..........................Pro Divers

Jay & Cheryl (jbjclj).......................5/8-6/19.................Villa Las Anclas..............Tres Pelicanos
SunnySpotCpl...............................5/21-6/13..............Rental House.................ScubaTony
FishWatcher747...........................5/25-6/05..............El Cetro AirBnB..............Tres Pelecanos
horn34 + 3....................................5/25-6/14............."My House".....................Dive with Cristina
Pillpusher......................................5/28-6/5................Palmar VRBO.................Salty Endeavors
jocamero+gf.................................5/30-6/6................Allegro.............................Pro Divers
ScubaBird +1................................5/30-6/13..............AirBnB in Town..............Aldora
mchiapetto & Wife.......................5/31-6/9...............Casa Mexicana...............Tres Pelicanos
Judydivescoz.................................6/1-6/30..............."our house"....................Liquid Blue
Scuba_88 +1..................................6/5-6/24.............."Our Rental House........ Aldora & Dive with Cristina
Andyhi, spouse & Daughter........6/6-6/18................Palmar Condo...............Blue Project
noj3333.........................................6/8-6/17................Hotel Plaza Cozumel....Tres Pelicanos
neehooya......................................6/8-6/17................Condo/Corpus...............Tres Pelicannos
Scubagolf+diving spouse............6/10-6/20..............Scuba Club.....................Scuba Club
KristenK, Matt, Jackson, Paityn...6/12-6/21.............Occidental.......................Pro Divers
cvchief & Stick Susantia..............6/16-6-25..............Casa De Jefe...................Rodeo de Launches Mexicanas
Gamechanger+nondiving Mrs...6/18-6/28..............Residencia Reef.............Living Underwater
jbark..............................................6/19-6/22..............Casa Mexicana..............Tres Pelicanos
Logos and Wife............................6/23-6/30..............Villa Aldora.....................Aldora
captnpat & Melissa.....................6/27-7/3................Occidental......................ScubaWithAlison
amoses+nondiving spouse........6/27-7/04..............Casa Mexicana..............Tres Pelicanos
Ray and Pam................................6/29-7/06..............Hotel Cozumel...............Papa Hogs
arew+4 (wife & 3 children).........6/29-7/06..............El Cantil..........................Tres Pelicanos

NDL_Diver + Wife.........................6/23 -7/2.................North Condo.....................Aldora

jocamero+gf.................................5/30-6/6................Allegro.............................Pro Divers
NDL_Diver + Wife........................6/23 -7/2...............North Condo..................Aldora

- I called in on Wed, talked to Miguel at the front desk about diving on Friday, told him we only wanted to go if we could dive outside the park to hunt lion fish
- Miguel says great, we have another couple that wants to do the same, I say great, i will call you back Thursday night to confirm
- I call back Thursday night, confirm with Miguel our hunting plans outside the park and meeting time. All agreed, no changes, no surprises.
- We show up Friday morning at 7:25 at the aqua safari pier, there are 3 boats there, 2 of them loaded with a bunch of people I recognize from other hunting trips.
- Miguel points us to another boat with an older couple in it, all rental gear, plus some DM I've never seen before and tells us this is our boat. No spears anywhere. I reminded him that we had multiple conversations about this trip, one less than 12 hours before, and this was not what we agreed. He looks very confused.
- He tells me he will go find some spears and that we can probably find some fish in the park, which is where this current couple wants to dive. :rolleyes:
- I laugh and tell him no, we aren't hunting in the park because first, it's illegal, and 2nd, all the lion fish have gone way to deep for casual diving . He says maybe we can find some at Devils Throat.
- I again reiterate that this is not the trip we agreed on and and they can fix it or we can leave. It was not fixed. So we left.
- I emailed them and asked for an explanation. No response. Crickets chirping.

I love aldora. Have stayed in the Villa. But, I don't think these lionfish trips happen anymore.

I asked every day last time we were there. Not enough interest to get an afternoon boat going. The lionfish population is (thankfully) pretty small and decreasing. That has the interest going down. Couldn't get a trip the last two weeks I was there despite telling them on day 1 that I would go any afternoon they could arrange a trip.

Does not explain the rest of your experience but I think lionfish hunting is pretty much dead as best I can figure. If that is not true - would be happy to do any day anytime June 23-30th to try for lionfish.

Was thinking about contacting some non aldora companies that advertise lionfish this time just to see if any actually have it, or even renting a private aldora boat for the afternoon, really want to go.

I love aldora. Have stayed in the Villa. But, I don't think these lionfish trips happen anymore.

I just just looked a pic today of an aldora boat full of lionfish and their awesome dinner at Casa Cozumel after.

I can't imagine lionfish are on the decline. Yes they keep the park clean. I only saw like 3-4 get dead in say the last 6 dives.

We snuck into the area around tekila (sp?) bar and I was shooting them left and right until I realized I was sort of under the navy base.....

hqdefault.jpg

6/5 - 6/8, 3P
AA just shifted the afternoon flight to Cozumel from 12:30 to 14:35, this made weekends doable for me again by leaving work a couple hours early. With the reduced ferry schedule making a weekend trip through Cancun was dicey. 6 seats left on the CZM flight, hopefully I can get one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom