Advice requested: Packing scuba gear for air travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Packing for our first scuba trip.

We've got soft sided rolling duffels to put our gear in (along with our other vacation stuff.)

Given that airline baggage handlers are not gentle with luggage, I want to do what I can to ensure my gear arrives intact.

The camera is going in the carry on. Spare batteries are going in the carry on. Dive computer going in the carry on. Masks have reasonably sturdy plastic cases, so they're going in the checked bags.

I'm considering putting our regulators in my carry on. The first stage is steel, and unlikely to break, but I worry about the plastic second stages and the attached integrated air transmitters.

Am I overly worried about the regs? Should I just wrap up the regs in some clothing, sandwich them between the BCDs, and arrange our fins around them to provide protection from bumps and squishing?

Any scuba gear packing trips you'd like to share?

Regulators (for certain), computers, camera in carry on. I actually have a reg bag and put my computer in there.

I bring one or two cheap plastic cutting boards from the dollar store to put on the top of my gear in my rolling duffle to protect from hits from the top. It also gives me a surface to cut limes to put in my drinks :wink:

I always carry my computers, cameras and anything ‘precious’.

when I first started diving this included carrying my regs too but as the years have gone by I’ve been less bothered about these.

if in doubt buy yourself a pelicase or a hard shell suitcase for your bits.

Am I overly worried about the regs? Should I just wrap up the regs in some clothing, sandwich them between the BCDs, and arrange our fins around them to provide protection from bumps and squishing?
Yes, you are.

That’s how I pack mine. I put my regs in a smaller soft gear bag, about size of my chest, 1st stage flat on the bottom of the bag with the hoses dangling out of the bag, put my soft gears (rash guard, socks, hood, swimming trunk) on top of the 1st stage as padding, then put my mask hard case on top of the soft gears, loop the hoses over the mask case with the 2nd stages tucked in to either sides of the mask case, zip up the bag, and then place it the BCD and strap the BCD around the bag, like how your strap the BCD around your chest. Put the gear bag strapped around BCD assembly in the larger check-in dive bag with the fins on either sides of the BCD as side protections. The fins’ width are wide enough to prevent other heavy bags from crushing the top of the check-in dive bag.

I just carry my electronic, camera, Li-ion batteries in my carryon bagpack, as shown below. Camera brackets go to the check-in dive bag. I have traveled 30+ times this way around the world for 16 years. No broken regs, mask or any dive gears in the check-in dive bag (knock on wood).

D08D6166-D8F7-484F-9BC5-03DD95AA8D01.jpeg

I typically stuff my masks into my fin pockets and put in checked baggage. And if I am travelling to dive warm then I also stuff the boots in the fin pockets.

I also find it useful to have a list, or in my case a spreadsheet with weight. I have a full list and a travel (check) list depending what I need to bring for the climate and type of diving planned.

upload_2021-5-26_15-4-9.png

We use the plastic large suitcases that are as large as the airlines will allow. 2 sets of gear fits fine and weighs just under 50 pounds. Carryon gets lights, regs, and computers. Maybe mask depending on what else goes in my backpack.

The only problem we ever had was when the Samsonite Gorilla got ahold of the dive bag and threw it under several planes tires, the bag trolly, another bag trolly, drug it down the interstate, then slammed it around his cage for a while. Not a single panel on the case wasn't broken, but the latches remained intact and the nylon liner on the inside kept everything contained. It was almost comical how bad the bag was. I'd still love to know what actually happened. Southwest made it right, replaced the bag, and there was no injury to the BCD's or other gear inside. They gave us way more in points than the gear was worth and we still dive the same gear today.

The wheels on the luggage break every three or four years or so but the rest of the bag endures multiple trips with no issues other than battle scars. I know there is some lifetime warranty stuff out there, but we just find the bags on sale for around $35 to $50 and always have a spare at the house.

Best thing is it just looks like another suitcase. Nothing on it, except maybe the DAN name tag, says anything scuba related. Thieves apparently don't want my underwear....

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

I typically stuff my masks into my fin pockets and put in checked baggage. And if I am travelling to dive warm then I also stuff the boots in the fin pockets.

I also find it useful to have a list, or in my case a spreadsheet with weight. I have a full list and a travel (check) list depending what I need to bring for the climate and type of diving planned.

View attachment 661535

wow. and i thought i was anal. i will have to show my wife this one. this is awesome !!

Packing for our first scuba trip.

We've got soft sided rolling duffels to put our gear in (along with our other vacation stuff.)

Given that airline baggage handlers are not gentle with luggage, I want to do what I can to ensure my gear arrives intact.

The camera is going in the carry on. Spare batteries are going in the carry on. Dive computer going in the carry on. Masks have reasonably sturdy plastic cases, so they're going in the checked bags.

I'm considering putting our regulators in my carry on. The first stage is steel, and unlikely to break, but I worry about the plastic second stages and the attached integrated air transmitters.

Any scuba gear packing trips you'd like to share?

like was said above, we also use those hard shell suitcases. my wifes gear and mine fits into one. but we always carry our regs in a carry on.

i am not up on new regulations for batteries etc but we always put any spares or rechargables in our stowed luggage. they are in a ziploc bag with electrical tape around each one to prevent any shorting of the batteries. this is what used to be recommended. things may have changed but that is what we do.

i am not up on new regulations for batteries etc but we always put any spares or rechargables in our stowed luggage. they are in a ziploc bag with electrical tape around each one to prevent any shorting of the batteries. this is what used to be recommended. things may have changed but that is what we do.
Lithiums/rechargeable MUST be in carryon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom