Upgrading from a Rec Kit to a Tech Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not the case here. There are not many good instructors outside the GUE folks. A few exist, but they are the exception. Agreed that you wouldn't want them, but many divers don't kniw any better.
Like I said, you don't really want those instructors but unfortunately a lot of (especially new) divers don't know the difference.
Sweden is a small country and diving is definitely not a common hobby, words spread very fast here and rotten instructors are pretty much forced out of the game in technical circles at least.
Lots of crappy OW instructors for sure, but as far as technical classes go there's a decent and widespread knowledge of who to stay away from if you ask around a bit.

Sorry, I am a bit confused by your answer...

Why do you suggest only these two setups? Wouldn't other systems be perfectly fine? For instance a classic double-cylinders, or a rebreather.

And why "without manifold"?

Why should he limit himself to NDL because of the computer? The computer does calculate deco, doesn't it?

Based on what you suggest to skip Intro? The intro course is there to refine basic skills, how do you know he doesn't need it?
Those two set ups I suggested offer less problems when traveling abroad. Dive outlets may be limited in equipment configuration: CCR tanks, doubles with manifolds, gasses. He doesn't need to limit his dive if he knows what he's doing and has the right equipment. Maybe he doesn't need the intro course. I haven't evaluated his/her skills.

Over here (Scandinavia) you would have an extremely hard time finding an instructor willing to do AN/DP with you if you haven't done an intro class like fundies, essentials or similar.
The instructors you would find who would still take you are IMO not the ones you want to do a class with.
The intro classes are there for a good reason, and recommending someone to skip past that step is just straight up stupid.
I don't know which part of Scandinavia you're from, nor do I care. Anyone with an IQ of 79 or higher would know most of the technical dive books are duplicated. I learn from the best I learn from the worst. Never train with the same instructor twice.

My buddies & I got into this together and current travel the world diving together. They just aren't sold yet on the investment needed for cold water diving or tech diving. If they need another diving season to commit one way or another, I'm not going to run off and take Fundies without them because they took too long to commit. It's a lot of money, I'll give them some time to decide.

Taking a primer or workshop sooner than later is not a bad idea between now and then.
GUE Fundamentals is to technical diving what PADI is to recreational diving. Repetition.

Those two set ups I suggested offer less problems when traveling abroad. Dive outlets may be limited in equipment configuration: CCR tanks, doubles with manifolds, gasses.

I have never thought that way, but it definitely makes sense. However, in my humble opinion, tech diving with dive centres that do not offer the right equipment is a bit of a risky activity. For wreck-diving, I would stick to doubles with manifolds; but yes, mine is just an opinion.

GUE Fundamentals is to technical diving what PADI is to recreational diving. Repetition.

Come on, he said that he is not proficient with doubles, BP/W and drysuit. Clearly, he needs an intro course, and he knows it - fundies perfectly fits this need. Stop suggesting to directly jump into tech without first refining basic skills, that's just dangerous in his case.

Has anyone had any experience(s) with using doubles on a Zeagle 911, or heard anything? thx <TG>

Dude, I used to use a Ranger over two layers of 5mm neoprene wetsuit
it fit like a glove, and with two manifolded steel 12L tanks it didn't move

And also, over a 5mm neoprene drysuit, it worked really really well too.

Wrong again!
I did all my tec training with IANTD and I am pretty sure GUE was NOT available then!
Did you know Mr. Jablonski was a IANTD instructor before?
You are just a late comer.

I have never thought that way, but it definitely makes sense. However, in my humble opinion, tech diving with dive centres that do not offer the right equipment is a bit of a risky activity. For wreck-diving, I would stick to doubles with manifolds; but yes, mine is just an opinion.
If you are diving with a team, it does make sense when equipment isn't readily available. One of my mentors uses whatever is available, and that can be a single tank with a stage bottle.

Wrong again!
I did all my tec training with IANTD and I am pretty sure GUE was NOT available then!
Did you know Mr. Jablonski was a IANTD instructor before?
You are just a late comer.
I may be late but I'm definitely not sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom