Ideal maximum number of days, dives in cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We love diving, but we also love Mexico.

Our typical trip to this point is 11 or 12 days, (if it weren't for the damned cat....), and we dive for 5.

Our off days might include a trip to the east side, a walk up to 12th, then up to 50th or 70th, (have lunch at some hole in the wall loncheria), then over to 2nd, Juarez, or 3rd, then back to the water, or a trip to a beach club, a trip to Playa, then to a cenote to swim and snorkel. If the sargassum is light, a Playa beach day, or......

Our ATV trip into the jungle was a hoot.

Our road trip to Valladolid and Ek Balam is one that we'll always remember.

Rio Secreto was an afternoon well spent, although a little too exciting in that particular colectivo, as the driver was in a hurry. He frequently hit 140 - 150 KMH.

Y'all get the idea.

i don't think i have ever done more then 15 or 16 dives on a 2 week holiday. i like diving but there are lots of other things to do. and some days it is just nice to do absolutely nothing.

Longest stint has been 6 months - never got bored.

Well I'm on island now for the first time ever and finished my 3rd straight day of morning dives. I'll let you know how many is enough but am planning for 10 straight dive days. Another day in paradise today with my new friends at Tres Pelicanos who have been outstanding.

For me if I don’t get 20 dives per trip in I feel I missed out. We usually do 3 week trips so getting 20 dives is usually easy unless weather hits. I’ll dive every day I can but wife usually skips a day or two. I like to go dive a cenote about once a year but wife doesn’t like them so that’s hit or miss. Gives me more dive time at Coz though.

Just completed 3 weeks with 18 days of diving. Total with 2 night dive which wasn't enough night dives - 38 dives. I do a 2 tank morning dive while wife walks the beach and sits by the pool. Back and done with all my clean up - camera equipment takes a while usually by 12:30. That leaves the rest of the day to drive around the island, eat and shopping if we want. We stay south of town so that eliminates a 20 min boat ride each way and we always get a rental car. Both happy - I get my diving in and she gets her pool/sun tanning time.

For me, almost every day of the trip, minus arrival day and departure day, assuming my flight is late enough.

If I am there for 16 days, then I try to dive 14...if I am there 23 days, then I try to dive 21...If I am there for 45 days...well, you get the point. I have occasionally been forced to take a "surface day" on my trips, mostly due to over-saturation due to long morning steel tank EANx dives combined with twilight/night dives.

If I could, I would stay as many days as my financial and time budget allowed. These days, that's generally one week or 10 days, but two or three weeks in Coz would be amazing if I could swing it. Two dives a day is the baseline for Cozumel dive ops, due to the substantial distance most boats have to travel to and from the dive sites. It's not like some places where the dive site is five minutes from the dock. If they take you to a site five minutes from the dock, it's not going to be very good (though night dives are commonly done closer to home.) I add on a twilight or night dive every couple of days for a total of maybe two night dives in a week. As the years have gone by and I have pretty much lost track of my total dive count, I care less about number of dives and more about dive quality. I'd rather do two great dives in a day than try to cram in four.

Definitely consider taking a day off in the middle of your trip. You could visit the mainland as others have mentioned, or just chill by a pool or under a palapa with a drink. The great thing about Cozumel is that even when you're not diving you're still in Mexico! Relax and enjoy.

Definitely consider taking a day off in the middle of your trip. You could visit the mainland as others have mentioned, or just chill by a pool or under a palapa with a drink. The great thing about Cozumel is that even when you're not diving you're still in Mexico! Relax and enjoy.

Just sitting around I would get bored and want to do something in about 15 minutes. When I am on Cozumel I fish, dive, tour the island, or do something else every day and fall face down in the bed by 10PM. When I get home I need a vacation. ;^)

I’m trying to decide the number of days and dives I’ll do in Cozumel. It could be between 7-14 days and 20-40 dives. The most I’ve spent on Coz was about 6 days and the most days of consecutive diving I’ve ever done was about 5. At what point do you get bored and want a change of scenery? I know that on off days I’ll probably be spending the same money on other activities beyond just sitting by the beach or pool. Also is there anything interesting on the interior of the island? Zip lines?
I’ve seen Tikal Guatemala and Angkor Cambodia so small ruins , temples aren’t exciting. Thanks !

Put together a trip with a guide out of PDC to dive the cenotes in the AM and visit Tulum ruins in the PM. It's a great day that requires an early ferry across. There are shops that will arrange the whole thing. Happy to provide a rec if you are interested.

Tulum is small and has a nice variety of ruins. Angkor spoiled me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom