Airline Prices to Bonaire - ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys defendubnfg rtgwe aThanks - that's super helpful for those of us that have planned Sat-Sat group trips (ours is rescheduled from last October)r dSaty-Sat RTripo through
The best I can get from the garble is that you are stuck with Sat-Sat. There are good fares then, too, but not for all weekends. When are you flying from where?

The best I can get from the garble is that you are stuck with Sat-Sat. There are good fares then, too, but not for all weekends. When are you flying from where?
The garble was due to knocking something over as I was typing/editing my post and then my computer doing a security patch reboot so it took me a few minutes to correct.

I have a rescheduled group trip for a specific week in October - it's Sat-Sat just like many group trips are including my last group trip to Bonaire in October of 2018. I am perfectly capable of finding the best airfares from surrounding airports (I have at least 4 that I can easily fly out of), so no need to share my dates and locations with you. The FACT is that Bonaire airfares are incredibly high compared to other Caribbean destinations - simple as that. I'm not sure why, but it's more than twice what it was when I went in 2018. I'm going to Aruba in a few weeks and we just booked our flights and it's pretty much the same fare range I've paid for 6 trips to Aruba since 2015 - so Bonaire is an anomaly for some reason.

The FACT is that Bonaire airfares are incredibly high compared to other Caribbean destinations - simple as that.
Others are willing to pay more, others are willing to make excuses but you hit the nail on the head. I suspect the real reason is lack of competition from other airways and a market where customers inexplicably are willing to pay above what they could for other comparable dive locations.

One reason Oct fares are higher than Sept is that Delta stops its Weds flights in Oct. so there is even more demand, and United doesn't start its flights until Nov.
My 4 weeks of groups are in August....postponed from last year, of course. But most of us got our tickets early on, before the flight resumptions were announced, using the loophole both Delta and American had about refunds and e-credits and no-charge changes. That's mostly gone now, of course.

You can also try pricing one way for flights there and back using a combination of Delta and AA, as well as points there and $ back (or vice versa) etc… Sometimes you have to get creative to keep costs down.

We paid nearly twice what we paid before. And it wasn’t just AA either, our room at DL was $300 higher as well for the week.

After shopping and shopping and shopping everywhere for the past two weeks we finally gave up and gave in. At this point they can have the extra money, just let us on the island lol

*Edited to add that when we booked our flights (on the actual AA website) our trip down said there were only four seats remaining available before we completed our purchase so take that for what you will about demand and people currently willing to pay a premium/etc

I wonder if 'making up for lost time' is a factor? I noticed at the local O'Charley's restaurant, I don't get the e-mails with 20% off coupons like I used to. A number of industries, particularly dine-in restaurants and travel/tourism-related, took a major hit from pandemic restrictions. The cruise industry took nightmarish financial damage.

Now that travel and tourism are re-opening, it may be these industries will be trying to recoup some of their losses.

Sadly, airfare has long been a big chunk of the Bonaire trip budget. Granted, it's a longer flight than some Caribbean destinations from the U.S., but still... That can be balanced to some extent with the relatively cheap package prices and the fact many don't feel obligated to tip for shore diving. Gas is expensive, but you likely only need one tank. Food is expensive, but...eh, but nothing, food on Bonaire is expensive.

Definitely time your travel with airfare costs in mind if you can. By the way, I appreciate the heads up on the Wednesday to Wednesday lower cost option!

The dollars and points required have been creeping up last 4-5 years. Used to be able about 50K points, then 60K, now has between 90 - 120K basic ticket. And that is planning 8 -12 months out. It's just an expensive place to fly. (There are several sectors where prices and supply are problematic now. Lumber> at the start of this thing a sheet of plywood was about $38. Now over $90. Try to buy and actually receive an appliance> months long backlog. New to us vehicle > there were 3 available to chose.)

But back to Bonaire. i always check the 'my dates are flexible'. Couple years back my brother and nephew flew down on a Saturday, but back the following Sunday. Tickets were $400 cheaper per person. They got to dive an extra day and the $800 more than covered the extra night + food. (Then they opted to get bumped from the US connection and took the $$ and free tickets). Flexible is the key to travel.

You guys complaining about the fares need to look at Wednesday flights, and American. There are still good fares....but not for all days for all flights.
Yep. I paid 850 each for Business class Wednesday flights on American from Memphis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom